Graduates: as you prepare to launch into the real world beyond college, or into the new world of independence after high school, I wanted to take a moment to congratulate each and every one of you. No matter what your circumstances in life -- where you live, the family you were born into, what happened to you as a young child that was beyond your control -- NOW is the time to step forward into your own true self and begin the chapter of life that is truly yours for the making.
In honor of this exciting time, I wanted to share with you some of my favorite quotes that have inspired me. May these words inspire you as you begin your own new chapter in the book of life.
1. "What lies behind us, and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
2. "I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions." -Stephen Covey
3. "The future depends on what you do today." -Gandhi
4. "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. You are the guy who'll decide where to go." - Dr. Seuss
5. "We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better." - JK Rowling
6. "Do not follow where the path may lead. Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
7. "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined." -Henry David Thoreau
8. "Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." -Arthur Ashe
9. "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover." -Mark Twain
10. "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition." - Steve Jobs
HuffPost Parents offers a daily dose of personal stories, helpful advice and comedic takes on what it’s like to raise kids today. Learn more