I had the pleasure of speaking with Dr. Oz about comfort eating today. Here is a sneak peak at an upcoming episode of Dr. Oz on FX radio (to be aired soon, click here for show times). If you don't already, tune in! Dr. Oz has a wonderful program on Oprah radio with a broad range of medical and mental health issues. He will be moving to TV on September 14th 2009.
How do you know if you are stuck in a stress eating trap? If you are an emotional eater, you are all too familiar with the signs of comfort eating.
1) You eat when you are not physically hungry.
2) It is hard to find things that satisfy you. You don't stop when you are full.
3) Cravings are triggered by an emotion-anger, anxiety,boredom etc.
4) Comfort eating has a mindless component to it. You may not enjoy the food or eat it mechanically as if in a trance.
Thankfully, there are many ways to soothe yourself without food. Here is one simple suggestion. When you get the urge to comfort eat, try pampering and soothing your senses in other ways.
1) Cocoon yourself in a blanket
2) Light a fragrant candle (lavander for example)
3) Take a hot bath
4) Sip hot or cold tea or water
5) Put on cozy clothes.
For other suggestions, see the book, 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food by Dr. Susan Albers
Follow Dr. Susan Albers on Twitter: www.twitter.com/DrSusanAlbers