On "press night," August 19, I saw Motown the Musical at the Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco. I like musicals so I was prepared to like it but not love it. Here are 10 things I loved about it:
1. It begins and ends with the 25th Anniversary of Motown and the television special.
2. It wasn't about who left, it was about who came back. Lots of folks did.
3. The acting and dancing were extraordinary.
4. The Ed Sullivan impersonator was flawless.
5. The Michael Jackson impersonator was impeccable, especially with the hat and fringes.
6. Great story, acting, singing and dancing.
7. I forgot that both Rick James and Tina Marie were on the label.
8. Marvin Gaye was genius in combining lyric and social consciousness, still relevant today in light of #Ferguson.
9. Attention to detail, the color pallet behind "Stevie Wonder" matched the Innervisions album cover.
10. Diane, not Diana Ross.
It is a must see. Beautifully staged as well. Plays now through September 28th.