When you dream of travel, do you hear Robin Leach narrating your trip? Do you have champagne tastes but a beer budget? Here are some ways that you can roll like Brangelina and Lindsay Lohan, as well as some people you might actually respect, like Heidi and Seal or Chris and Gwyneth.
Before we share some Poshbrood picks to inspire impromptu packing, here are five key tips to keep in mind:
- Be flexible on dates. Try the Caribbean in the off season. It can save you up to 50%! If you're a risk taker, go to the Caribbean at the height of hurricane season for even greater price breaks.
- The best deals available often depend on the time of week. Mid-week, resorts are usually discounted, while it is easier to find deals on weekends in major metropolitan areas like NYC, LA, Chicago, or Denver where they cater to business travelers during those times.
- Keep your eyes (and mind!) open for last-minute specials. They really offer the best opportunity for major savings since resorts and hotels are often just trying to get their rooms booked.
- Hold the eye rolling, but all-inclusive resorts are a great deal for couples or families. They allow you to have a high class experience, without sweating every time you sign for your dinner/bar tab.
- Try auction websites. Poshbrood.com likes Luxurylink, where you can search for a vacation by destination or style. Also try Andrew Harper's Auctions. You have to be a member, but we think it is worth every penny. A recent auction winner paid1,250 for four nights in the Suite at Chateau Eza in France which included a daily Continental breakfast for two. This package typically costs3,800! Chateau Eza is on my bucket list and if it's not on yours, it should be. On both LuxuryLink and Andrew Harper, you can get five-star accommodations at a fraction of a hotel's rack rate.
Here is a short roundup of Poshbrood-approved deals to consider for a taste of the luxe life without the heavy Hollywood price tag:
Jamaica Villas by Linda Smith
Many A-listers rent fully staffed villas for the ultimate in luxury and privacy (to avoid the paparazzi of course). Jamaica Villas by Linda Smith is based in Cabin John, MD and offers villas complete with a cook, maid, butler, gardener and laundress that are remarkably affordable and utterly decadent.
Almond Hill is a three-bedroom fully-staffed villa in Montego Bay with private pool, AC, Wi-Fi, and complimentary membership and hotel privileges at the Round Hill or Tryall Resorts. Weekly rates in off-season (April 16-December 14) offer us mere mortals a great deal of $2,300, not including money for groceries and staff tips. The villa sleeps six. That makes it less than $385 a person for the week!
Omni Bedford Springs Resort, Bedford, PA
The Omni Bedford Springs Resort is a Historic Hotel of America and a four-diamond property located in Southern Pennsylvania. Omni Bedford Springs was completely overhauled in 2007 when the owners spent a cool $120 million to restore it to its historic grandeur. The resort now reflects a sophisticated and modern twist on traditional period décor. The resort has natural hot springs (with medicinal properties, of course), historic buildings, a world-class spa, indoor and outdoor pools, award-winning restaurants, cooking classes, historic tours, kids' club, miles of hiking trails, and more.
The resort is surprisingly affordable. Through March 31st, the hotel is offering a mid-week Ski and Stay package for $209 a night which includes: luxurious accommodations, hot chocolate, breakfast buffet and lift tickets to Blue Knob Ski Resort.
The Boar's Head Inn, Charlottesville, VA
The Boar's Head Inn is an AAA four-diamond property located in Virginia's Piedmont countryside. Featuring a relaxing spa, expansive grounds, historic setting, golf, tennis, hot air ballooning, cooking classes, hiking, children's programs, fitness center, wine tours and both fine and casual dining, Boar's Head is a crowd-pleaser for families and couples alike. Weekend rates dip as low as $145 a night for one king bed or two double doubles, so keep an eye on this spot for great prices on a last-minute luxury getaway.
La Amada Hotel, Playa Mujeres, Mexico
Situated just 25 minutes from Cancun International Airport (an easy and cheap AirTran direct flight away from BWI, ATL or MDW), La Amada is the newest luxury resort destination in greater Cancun. La Amada offers all-inclusive packages that are extremely affordable. We priced out four nights for a family of four this coming weekend. The cost? Just $2200 for a huge, 1,098 square foot "Swim Up" suite on the ground floor of the hotel with direct pool access and a private terrace. Plus, all meals, drinks (yes that includes your margaritas), Kids' Clubs and non motorized sports. That's less than $250 per person a day! This is a fantastic option for beachfront luxury that won't break the bank. You had us at tequila.
HuffPost Lifestyle is a daily newsletter that will make you happier and healthier — one email at a time. Learn more