It is gift-giving time, and it's a perfect time to impress without breaking the bank. Wine under $20, or a gift relating to wine under $20, can be the perfect gift and can start someone on a journey he did not know existed into exploring new wines in this category.
You do not need to be an expert, wine aficionado or sommelier to enjoy this category. For the most part, it is a matter of your own personal taste. So I say, spend this holiday season testing wines that you and your friends like that are affordable and taste amazing. You will be so surprised as to what you discover!
I will confess that on this endeavor, I have discovered that there are a few wines that have become my go-to bottles in this category.
My favorite U.S. Wines for this holiday season, which should be easy to find, are:
- J Wine Pinot Gros, online for $13: This wine is crisp with a hint of margarita lime.
- Chateau Ste. Michelle, online for $8: It is smooth, light and refreshing.
- Pacific Rim Riesling, online for $14: the perfect Riesling
- Wyatt Cabernet Sauvignon, online for $10: This wine is smoky, spicy and has some fruit flavors
- Erath Pinot Noir, online for $15: It is light yet zesty and has great spice flavor.
- Seven Deadly Zins Zinfandel, online for $12: a well-balanced Zin filled with flavors!
Once you picked your wine and you are looking to add to your gift, or if just want to give a present in the wine category, there are affordable items that can you can add. Below are my suggestions for this holiday season for gifts under $20
- A bottle of wine under $20, with a brief description about the wine.
- An original or antique corkscrew can be whimsical and you can have fun with this one, but remember a simple corkscrew does the job too!
- Contemporary-lever-style bottle opener
- A decanter
- A pair of wine glasses
- Wine coasters
- Wine charms
- An ice bucket to keep your wine cool
- A scrapbook to place labels of wine in that you drank and loved
- A copy of my book Great Wines Under $20