WEIRD NEWS
03/14/2013 12:32 pm ET | Updated Mar 14, 2013

Anishi Spencer, McDonald's Lawsuit Claims Child Ate Used Condom Found In Play Area

UPDATE -- 12:38 P.M.

McDonald's contacted The Huffington Post with the following statement:

“Providing a safe, clean environment is a top priority for us. This restaurant is no exception.

We take these matters seriously and investigate all claims to gather the facts. At the time the lawsuit was filed, we had not completed our investigation and at no time have we given the alleged object in question to examine.

These are just allegations and we strongly caution anyone from jumping to conclusions without having the facts.

Because this is now a pending legal matter, it would be inappropriate to further comment or speculate.”

Wanda Haltek, Director of Operations
McDonald’s USA

Original Story

Here's to hoping they can reach a happy deal.

A woman's lawsuit against a Chicago, Ill., McDonald's claims that her child ate and coughed up part of a used condom he found in the restaurant's play area.

Anishi Spencer filed the suit Wednesday on behalf of herself and her two children, Jonathan, 3 years old at the time of the incident, and Jacquel, 2, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

The mother claims that the boys found a used prophylactic on the PlayPlace area's floor when they visited McDonald's in Feb. 2012, according to CBS Chicago.

Jacquel later coughed up a piece of the condom, and both boys required medical treatment.

The suit takes aim at McDonald's cleaning and surveillance procedures, specifically its failure to detect "deviant activities" on site. Spencer claims negligence and seeks compensation of at least $50,000 in damages for her boys' medical treatment.

A request for comment from McDonald's headquarters was not immediately returned. The manager on duty at the McDonald's where the incident occurred told The Huffington Post that she could not remember if she was working at the time and could not offer further information.

McDonald's has had a small string of meal-breaking incidents in the past year. In early February 2013, a woman in China was hospitalized after drinking detergent from a Coca-Cola cup a clerk admitted to leaving on the counter. Last October, a woman in Oklahoma sliced her tongue when she bit into a McDonald's cookie allegedly containing a razor-sharp piece of clear plastic.

ALSO ON HUFFPOST:

Mealbreakers
Subscribe to the Weird News email.
Truth is stranger than fiction. Step into the world of weird news.

CONVERSATIONS