Donald Trump Calls For 'Complete Shutdown' Of Muslims Entering U.S.

Seriously?

12/07/2015 04:39 pm ET | Updated Dec 08, 2015
  • Igor Bobic Associate Politics Editor, The Huffington Post
Scott Olson via Getty Images

WASHINGTON -- Republican presidential hopeful and real estate mogul Donald Trump is calling for a "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States" following deadly terror attacks involving Islamic extremists in California and France.

"Without looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred is beyond comprehension," Trump said in a statement emailed to reporters on Monday.

"Where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine. Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous attacks by people that believe only in Jihad, and have no sense of reason or respect for human life," he continued.

Corey Lewandowski, Trump's campaign manager, told The Associated Press that the ban would apply to "everybody," including Muslims seeking tourist visas. Last month, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), one of Trump's rivals for the GOP presidential nomination, introduced a similar proposal that would prevent refugees from obtaining tourist and immigration visas if they are from one of about 30 countries with a "significant jihadist movement."

Trump's call to bar Muslim immigration into the U.S. is just the latest in a series of anti-Islamic statements. He previously suggested shuttering certain mosques in the U.S. and claimed he saw footage of American Muslims cheering after the 9/11 attacks -- footage that no television network has been able to dig up.

There is some evidence that such anti-Muslim rhetoric has support among GOP primary voters. According to Public Policy Polling, which has regularly polled voters on their attitudes toward Muslims, a significant portion of GOP primary voters in North Carolina believe Islam should be outright illegal in the United States.

Over and over again, Trump's outlandish statements have pressured Republican candidates and party leaders to respond. Republican National Committee Chair Reince Priebus will likely face calls to do so ahead of a scheduled fundraiser with Trump in New York City this week.

On Monday, Trump touted his new proposal on his favorite medium -- Twitter. 

"Just put out a very important policy statement on the extraordinary influx of hatred & danger coming into our country," he wrote. "We must be vigilant!"

Other Republican presidential candidates condemned Trump for his plan: 

Syed Farook, one of the suspected shooters in last week's attack in San Bernardino, California, was an American citizen. The other suspect is his wife, Tashfeen Malik, who reportedly pledged allegiance to the so-called Islamic State on social media. Malik entered the U.S. on a K-1 "fianceé visa." 

Mohammod Youssuf Abdulazeez, the shooter who allegedly killed four Marines earlier this year in Chattanooga, Tennessee, was also a naturalized U.S. citizen. In an address to the nation Sunday night, President Barack Obama cited the Chattanooga shooting as an act of terrorism.

"But just as it is the responsibility of Muslims around the world to root out misguided ideas that lead to radicalization, it is the responsibility of all Americans -- of every faith -- to reject discrimination," Obama said. "It is our responsibility to reject religious tests on who we admit into this country. It's our responsibility to reject proposals that Muslim-Americans should somehow be treated differently."

9 Outrageous Things Donald Trump Has Said About Latinos

CONVERSATIONS