CRIME
10/18/2013 05:04 pm ET

Infant Burned In Car Seat Left By Caretaker On The Stove: Police

Shutterstock

An infant in Colorado is recovering from burns after being left strapped into a car seat that was left on top of a stove.

A report by 9News says that the child -- a less than 1-year-old girl -- was in the care of a babysitter, not her parents.

Denver Police posted on their Facebook account Friday that the fire department was responding to a fire when they learned the child had been left on the stove:

Police investigators learned that a child had been burned after being placed on top of a stove while in a car seat. A short time later, the chair ignited burning the child. It is believed that the person responsible for the child’s safety was attending to another child when the infant was burned.

Investigators spoke with individuals inside the home after the incident, but said that it's too early to say whether the child was placed maliciously on the stove. No criminal charges have been announced.

The child was taken to Children's Hospital with burns that are not expected to be life-threatening.

ALSO ON HUFFPOST:

Dumb Criminals: Mugshot Gallery

CONVERSATIONS