Since the Second Amendment is even more in the news today than usual, I thought I'd repost a link to my Sources on the Second Amendment, a Web page that includes:
- The text of related contemporaneous right-to-bear-arms provisions
- Calls for the right to keep and bear arms from state ratification conventions
- "The right of the people" in other Bill of Rights provisions
- Some other contemporaneous constitutional provisions with a similar two-clause structure
- Leading 18th- and 19th-century commentary on the right to bear arms
- Excerpts from Supreme Court cases that mention the right
- Relevant statutes, such as the Militia Act of 1792 and the currently effective Militia Act
Here also are my latest and best-formatted lists of state constitutional rights to keep and bear arms, current and past, sorted by state and by date, and categorized by type.
Finally, here's my testimony on the Second Amendment to the Senate Subcommittee on the Constitution -- it's a bit date, since it doesn't include my research on the phrase "free state," but it should still be a helpful articulation of my views.