Kate babbles about all things food on her own blog, Food Babbles, and about feeding her girls the best way. On Food Fanatic, she wows us with her commitment to homemade, fresh baking, week after week.
Classic zucchini bread has always been a favorite of mine. Growing up I remember going in to the garden at my grandfather's house and helping him pick zucchini from the garden. He would show me which ones were ready to be harvested and which ones needed a little more time.
We would return to the kitchen where my grandmother would help me up onto a step stool to wash our green bounty of zucchini. My grandfather then showed me how to carefully grate the zucchini that would soon be turned into bread. I remember thinking that vegetables in a bread seemed like such a strange notion. We measured and mixed and then I waited for this intriguing bread to emerge.
From my first warm bite of this glorious bread, a lifelong love was formed. I've made my grandfather's zucchini bread countless times over the years but this time I decided to give his recipe a new twist. The addition of chocolate takes this Gluten Free Zucchini Bread to a whole new level. Moist, fudgy, gluten free bread, with little pockets of melted chocolate chips for a chocolate spin on classic zucchini bread.
Zucchini, you've never looked so good! With all the vegetables in there, you could almost call this gluten free zucchini bread health food. And let’s not forget that dark chocolate is heart healthy AND high in antioxidants.
Told ya this was health food!
Ok, so maybe not quite, but with vegetables, dark chocolate and being gluten free, it's looking pretty good to me. This gluten free, chocolate twist on classic zucchini bread is definitely a new favorite for me.
Looking for more ways to use all that surplus zucchini? Don't miss Katie's Pasta Primavera Recipe either.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini squash, shredded
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, xantham gum, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together light brown sugar, granulated sugar and eggs at medium speed until very well combined, about 3-4 minutes. With mixer still on, drizzle in vegetable oil. Add vanilla extract and beat a few seconds more.
- At medium speed, slowly add the flour mixture and beat just until combined. Gently fold in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips. Spread batter into a 9x5-inch loaf pan and smooth the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For a version that is not gluten free, simply omit xantham gum and use 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour.
Follow Food Fanatic on Twitter: www.twitter.com/@FoodFanatical