It's clear that America's Founding Fathers must have made a pact with the Devil. How else to explain the curse America is so obviously under today? I want to go even farther than Pat Robertson and tell it like it really is!
(Disclosure: back in the 1970s and 80s before I quit the evangelical right, I was on the 700 Club with Pat 6 times, given my late father Francis Schaeffer was a founder of the religious right).
What else besides a punishment for a satanic pact could explain the following?...
- Sarah Palin, who got a heartbeat from the presidency and who believes that health care reform means there will be death panels and that she needed to have witches cast out in a Pentecostal ceremony before she'd run for governor
- A whole subculture of American rooting for the "End Times" and Armageddon
- Pat Robertson who explained 9/11 and now the tragedy of the earthquake in Haiti, as results of God's wrath and/or satanic dealings
- Dick Cheney who betrays his country (and common decency) by saying our country is less safe because we have a Democrat for president
- Rick Warren who coddled the "Christian" leaders in Uganda who want to kill gays (until Warren got called out and backtracked)
- The "Family" and other Washington "Christian" groups working overtime to turn America into a theocracy
- The evangelical hate machine working to deny gays their right to marry
- The Roman Catholic hate machine aiding and abetting the evangelicals
- Tea Party goofs who hate our government and think that "Hitler" is president
- Private armies of murdering "Contractors" who are above the law
- "Christians" attending the funerals of service men and women and screaming God hates fags and America
- A bunch of Congressmen more loyal to their theology than to the Constitution of the United States
- A military besieged by evangelical zealots trying to use the military chaplains and academies as an evangelistic spring board by "witnessing" to hapless soldiers
- Tax free churches deforming American politics
- Franklin Graham who is now taking the heretofore nonpartisan Billy Graham organization to the extreme hate-filled right, even getting old and out of it Billy to sign a letter endorsing Palin...
The list is as endless as we have fringe crazies, who turn out to not be so "fringe" given they now are the Republican just-say-no obstructionist Party.
Yes, we seem cursed all right!
* * *
Frank Schaeffer is the author of Crazy for God: How I Grew Up as One of the Elect, Helped Found the Religious Right, and Lived to Take All (or Almost All) of It Back and Patience with God: Faith for People Who Don't Like Religion (or Atheism).
Follow Frank Schaeffer on Twitter: www.twitter.com/frank_schaeffer