It is not a coincidence that the partners in happy couples share many of the same behavioral patterns in how they treat one another. Often we think that being happy means we have fun sharing the same hobbies or doing everything as a couple. While sharing activities enhances relationships, the most important components to successful relationships are found in how the individuals within the couple treat each other, and in large part it has to do with communication and behavior. Listed below are some of the most important aspects of having a successful relationship with your significant other.
1. Be Friends - Being friends and genuinely liking your partner is one of the most important components of a happy and successful relationship. If you don't like the other person, how can you truly love them?
2. Enjoy your friend and partner's company - Laughter is not only good medicine but it is also the glue that binds relationships and creates memories. Laughing together and even crying together is meaningful in good relationships.
3. Be spontaneous - All of us have preferences, likes and dislikes. To be spontaneous about trying new food, travel plans, places to visit and so forth we expand our personal horizons and show respect for our spouse's or partner's preferences as well. Life is more interesting if we can be spontaneous together!
4. Have your own life - Developing a healthy relationship is about two independent and emotionally mature individuals joining company to share their lives together. Sometimes our needs can become interjected into our relationships in a way that creates a co-dependent dynamic and this can derail happiness in an intimate relationship.
5. Be Fully, Purely Present to Your Partner - It has been said that there is no greater gift than our full, complete presence to another. Being authentically interested and attentive to the other person is a hallmark of a healthy, happy relationship.
6. Show and Express Affection - Physical touch is an important part of happiness and fulfillment in relationships. Couples will often say that just holding hands or sharing affection with their partner is the very important part of their feeling loved and cared for.
7. Be Caring and Kind - It cannot be stated enough that kindness, compared with criticism or complaints, is one of the most attractive things about another person. When we are kind not only do we feel good about our behavior but the person we are in a relationship with feels good about our behavior too.
8. Be Honest - If we give our partners a sense that we are devoted and loyal to them and they provide that for us, we create the foundation of a truly lasting and loving relationship. Many times marriages or relationships break up because of trust issues. Trust is the foundation of a all good interactions.
9. Be Committed - When we are committed to someone it means that we are there for them and we can be counted on to support them and be there in times of need. This is what we all want from our relationships and in order to get that we need to give that as well.
10. Communicate - By actively communicating with your partner on an ongoing basis you can avoid many of the problems that arise in relationships before they occur. By being proactive and checking in with each other on a regular basis to see how things are for the other person, this will go a long way in preventing and avoiding conflicts.
Creating and sustaining a loving, trusting and lasting relationship is one of the most fulfilling experiences most of us long for and look forward to. While it is not a complicated process it does require awareness and cultivation, just like raising a child or growing a garden.
If we keep the weeds from infiltrating the flower beds we can enjoy the uninterrupted beauty of our longed-for relationship and reduce the wear and tear that neglect can produce. Relationships take time, caring and commitment, but they are truly worth it.
Follow Georgianna Donadio, MSc, Ph.D., D.C. on Twitter: www.twitter.com/Dr_Donadio