Summer is in full swing and it's very important that you keep your locks healthy.
Sun and heat can dry out your hair in no time, leaving it brittle, frizzy and damaged. Here are some tips to help your hair stay beautiful:
• Since you already are in the sun a LOT, try to avoid anything else that involves heat on your hair, including your beloved blow dryer, flat irons, hot rollers, curling irons ... At least, try to reduce their use to a minimum during the summer months.
• Headed outside? This is the time to let your hair air-dry as much as possible. Scrunch with gel or hair mousse for some fast volume and waves, then head for the beach or trails.
• For those who get frizzy hair, try shampooing and styling every other day if not every third day. On that second or third day, go with a braid, a ponytail or cute hat or headbands.
• Do not over-process your hair with chemicals. Keep in mind that even if we highlight or color, the sun will continue to lighten it further.
• Take it with you. Travel with a good professional conditioner and once a week go for a deep conditioning to keep your hair moisturized. Don't forget your travel-size containers! What could be worse than watching an airport security guard drop your high-end conditioner into the trash.
• Think about accessories. Hats, bandanas, headbands, clips all work well for styles in the sun.
Part of what we do in the summer is loosen up, right? We take it easy. We're on vacation. And that's what we do with our hair, too ... we go easy. That makes it easier to handle in all the fun and sun, because we're not trying to be quite so controlling, and it gives it a different, relaxed, even romantic look. There are times that we work hard to create those styles. Now we're getting it for real. Headed out on the lake for wakeboarding? Clip it back and let the wind and water style your hair! "No worries!"
Granted, it's hard to boast about helmet hair after a day of mountain biking but if you're attitude is right, your hair will follow. Then pull it into a ponytail or spike it up with a pocket tube of hair mousse and you're ready for that pint after a long day on the trails.
Looking forward, the healthier you keep your hair in the summer, the better it will look when you make those transitions to the luscious fall colors.
Be open to change!
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more