iOS app Android app More

Wis. man convicted of neglect in daughter's case

stumbleupon: Wis. man convicted of neglect in daughter's case   digg: US Works With Sudan Government Suspected Of Aiding Genocide   reddit: Wis. man convicted of neglect in daughter's case   del.icio.us: Wis. man convicted of neglect in daughter's case

TODD RICHMOND | March 16, 2013 03:02 AM EST | AP

Compare other versions »

MADISON, Wis. — A Wisconsin man accused of starving and torturing his teenage daughter has been convicted of child neglect.

But jurors couldn't reach a verdict Friday night on the four other felonies against the 41-year-old Madison man.

The Associated Press isn't naming him to avoid identifying the girl, who says she was sexually assaulted by her stepbrother. He's been charged separately.

The now-16-year-old girl says her father kept her locked in the basement and subjected her to years of physical abuse. She weighed 68 pounds when she fled the family's home last year.

Her father's attorneys say the girl had mental health issues and chose not to eat.

Jurors deliberated for more than 18 hours. One said it was "a very tough case for all of us to even sit through."