Ask any woman and she'll tell you that the reason you shouldn't have sex on a first date is that the guy won't call you back because he'll think you are easy and will have lost interest.
That might or might not be true, but there are lots of other reasons why taking your clothes off with someone on a first date is a no no. Here are five reasons sex on a first date is a bad idea:
1. It's awkward: The first time you have sex with ANYONE, no matter how long you've been dating, the sex is usually two things: one, heart pounding and exciting and two, awkward. But, it's a lot less awkward if you know the person a little bit, and you know they care about you somewhat. Then the awkwardness fades quickly because there's a comfort level, and a sense of friendship (or love) that makes it so much more fulfilling and fun.
2. Waiting is great foreplay: Having sex on a first date is like having dessert before dinner. How can you enjoy your delicious appetizers, salad and steak if you've already had chocolate chip cheesecake? You might enjoy it, but not as much. In other words, let the relationship build. It's sexy and so much better when you take your time.
3. What if it doesn't work out? Let's say you sleep with someone on a first date and then you don't hear from him? Or if you are the guy, what if you call and she doesn't return your call? If you've slept with that person, you will feel so much worse!
4. Waiting gives you self-confidence and self-esteem: Men and women who are strong enough to hold out and wait for the right time to go to bed with someone are exhibiting more self control, they are thinking more clearly and objectively, and they have a certain self assurance, like they aren't desperate, having the need to validate the relationship with sex. Waiting is mature, confident and sexy.
5. Sex clouds judgment: Let's be honest. Sex makes you fall in love. The reason that's not good is because you can't see objectively anymore. What usually ends up happening is, later on, when the physical part starts to fade a bit, you realize you have nothing in common with the person.
Remember that every situation is different. There are exceptions, and there may come a time when you are out with a guy and everything feels so right very early on, and you think back to this blog and roll your eyes at me. But, most times, I'd say there are so many benefits to waiting on the physical part. After all, isn't dessert the sweetest part of the meal?
Follow Jackie Pilossoph on Twitter: www.twitter.com/divorcedgirlJP