THE BLOG
04/24/2014 07:03 pm ET | Updated Jun 23, 2014

Disappointment at the Supreme Court for Child Pornography Victims

This week, the Supreme Court issued its long-awaited decision in our case requesting compensation for victims of child pornography. In Paroline v. United States et. al., the Court basically punted the issue back to the district courts where restitution for child pornography victims has been percolating for almost six years.

This outcome is a huge setback for victims of child pornography who must now return to district courts all over the country to try and make their case for compensation from the often hundreds and thousands of criminal defendants who collect and trade their child sex abuse images year after year.

Our client, Amy, whose story was brilliantly told by noted journalist and author Emily Bazelon in the New York Time Magazine last year, had this reaction to the Court's decision:

I am surprised and confused by the Court's decision today. I really don't understand where this leaves me and other victims who now have to live with trying to get restitution probably for the rest of our lives. The Supreme Court said we should keep going back to the district courts over and over again but that's what I have been doing for almost six years now. It's crazy that people keep committing this crime year after year and now victims like me have to keep reliving it year after year. I'm not sure how this decision helps anyone to really know if, when, and how restitution will ever be paid to kids and other victims of this endless crime. I see that the Court said I should get full restitution "someday," I just wonder when that day will be and how long I and Vicky and other victims will have to wait for justice.

For more information about this case, including the Court's decision and ongoing media reaction, visit our blog.