Want to burn an extra 100 calories per day?
Here are eight simple things that you can add to your daily routine that will burn an extra 100 calories. Think about it. If you do one of these things each day, rotating them if you like, at the end of one year you will have burned off 10 pounds.
From Fidgeting to Fornicating: Eight Ways to Burn 100 Calories
1. Sex and Sex Again. Especially with St. Valentine's Day right around the corner, I thought you'd want to know that having sex -- or making love for the romantics - burns about 100 calories per hour (depending on your level of enthusiasm). If an hour is just too much for you, try two 30-minute romps in the hay!
2. Fidget Your Way Thin. Any type of movement requires energy, and fidgeting is definitely movement. Fidgeting is a Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT). And a fabulous way to get through a day when you're chained to your desk. Tap your feet, wiggle in your seat, and play that keyboard loud, for one hour daily!
3. Vacuum Your House and Your Neighbor's. Twenty-five minutes of vacuuming burns about 100 calories, and if you have stairs even better! Needless to say, if you live in a NYC apartment as I do, which takes -- even if I'm really thorough (which I never am) -- about 10 minutes, you're going to need to seek out other people's carpeting. Try knocking on your neighbor's door, and see if they'd like to support your new exercise regime!
4. Cold Water. Studies show that drinking cold water gives a half-hour boost to the metabolism. The effect comes from warming the water in the stomach. Eight glasses of cold water strategically spaced throughout the day can give you a boost that equals approximately 25 calories per glass. Four glasses equals 100 calories burned! That's 700 per week, or 2800 a month which equals roughly 2/3 of a pound flushed out!
Be forewarned. Drinking too much water can kill you, especially if you are either eating very little (a very bad idea) or fasting (not for long, please, and under doctor's supervision).
5. Rake and Dig. You can either rake your lawn with a moderate amount of energy for 30 minutes to burn 100 calories, or you can dig a few holes and rake your lawn with gusto for 15 minutes and burn 100 calories. Somebody, get me a hoe! Please.
6. Childcare. A bonus for the moms (and dads) out there! Believe it or not, 30 minutes of taking care of your kid, running after the little cutey, picking up the toys, pushing the stroller ... burns 100 calories. Makes the motherhood thing more appealing?
7. Drink Caffeinated Green or Black Tea. Caffeine is a stimulant and stimulants may increase the calories you burn. 250 milligrams of caffeine with each meal will increase your metabolism by 10%!!! Don't add sugar or milk to your beverage and defeat the purpose! And please, don't over do it. This is not for everyone. Bottom's up.
8. Walk. Okay, maybe taking a walk is not the most innovative idea ever, but people, it's something you can do! A mere 15 minutes of brisk walking burns approximately 100 calories. As the creator of the Kick in the Tush Club, I am seriously giving you a kick in the tush and pushing you outside. Take a lunchtime walk or before work walk and/or an after work walk. You'll feel happier for it, too!
Your gain IS my pain. How can I help you?
Follow Janice Taylor on Twitter: www.twitter.com/OurLady