Yes, you do have to eat healthy to burn the fat off of your belly. You must have more calories going out and fewer calories coming in. There are 3,500 calories in one pound of fat, so you need to be eating 500 fewer calories (calorie negative) than what you burn daily (daily active metabolic rate) to lose one pound of fat a week.
If your daily active metabolic rate is 2,500 calories per day, then you should be eating 2,000 calories a day to burn off one pound. of fat in a week. You can use this metabolic calculator to calculate your daily active metabolic rate. Then subtract 500 and that will be the number of calories a day you should be eating so you can lose one pound of fat a week.
The truth is you also need to be doing core exercises, because it's the synergy of a great training program and a great meal plan that delivers an incredible core and defined abs. Core focused cardio, total body toning and specific core defining exercises will absolutely help you blast the fat off of your belly.
The core is a group of muscles just like any other area in your body, and you must train them if you want them to improve with better strength, tone, endurance and flexibility.
Here are five core exercises from my "Blast the Belly Fat" DVD that will help you create a strong, toned & flexible core. Do them in a circuit format and repeat them three to five times for an incredible core-focused total body workout.
These moves are intermediate to advanced and they are guaranteed to deliver results. If you are a beginner, make sure you do the movements at your own pace and your own range of motion. The more you practice, the better results you will get. Allow yourself to be a beginner and your form and technique will improve each time you do this circuit.
1) Cross Jacks: This is a core focused total body cardio move that will help you increase your calorie burn and tone the abs.
2) Mountain Climbers to Cross Rotation: This is a core-focused cardio move (mountain climber) followed by a core-focused total body toning move (cross torso rotation). This combination will increase your calorie burn and help you tone the entire body with an extra focus on the abs.
3) Plank Walk-Ups: This a combination of core-focused cardio and total body toning move. By using the entire body you will keep the calories burning while toning the entire body, including the abs.
4) Stationary Lunge With Rotation: This is another total body toning move, and by adding a basic rotation we increased the use of the core muscles, helping you create more definition in the abs.
5) Leg Reach With Rotation: This is a specific core-defining exercise that recruits the transverse abdominus (a muscle that wraps around your stomach like a belt, acting like a corset pulling in your lower belly and supporting your lower back), rectus abdominus (the "six-pack") and the obliques. To modify this movement, all you have to do is bend your knees. Do the range of motion that you can achieve and each time you practice you will get better and better!
For more amazing core-focused exercises you can check out Jeanette's Blast the Belly Fat DVD.
Follow Jeanette Jenkins on Twitter: www.twitter.com/jeanettejenkins