How do you know when your writing is going well? Here are seven sure-fire signs:
- You can write for hours and hours and totally ignore the mounting pile of dirty dishes and the looming pile of laundry.
- You stay up too late and then can't get to sleep because your story is buzzing in your brain.
- Every other article published in the newspaper, and in magazines, and every story on the radio, seems to be about the themes in your book.
- You "see" you characters walking down the street, and have to hold yourself back from going up to speak to them.
- You think it's outrageous when a family member -- husband, child -- interrupts you to ask you a simple question.
- Your desk looks like a blizzard of Post-It notes.
- You could care less when you'll finish, if it will sell, or if you should be doing something more productive with your time.
That's where I am -- at least these last few days. It's a good place to be.