My favorite recovering felon, Martha Stewart, was asked her thoughts on our most recent political pin-up girl, Sarah Palin. I wasn't surprised that Martha didn't pull any punches:
Dangerous, confused and boring! In Sarah Palin's world, them's fightin' words! After that choice sound bite, I figured Palin would go all rogue on Martha. Even though Martha is the queen of all things domestic, she's a tough cookie and in a head-to-head match up, my money would definitely be on Martha. Here are my five reasons why:
1. The most obvious -- Martha's done time in the "big house." While she was there, I'm sure she learned all sorts of fun, new uses for her glue gun, not to mention that a knitting needle makes an excellent shiv!
2. With all her crafty experience, Martha has a much better sense of how to work with a holiday turkey when she's on camera.
3. Sarah may be able to field dress a moose, but Martha can whip it into a special holiday meal and still create a silk purse out of what's left!
4. Martha is a Jersey girl. It's just never a good idea to cross a Jersey girl who lost a $1 billion!
5. Martha is really ticked off that the SEC and federal prosecutors sent her to prison for avoiding an insider trading loss of about $45,000 while they ignored Bernie Madoff and the $18 billion he stole from clients in the biggest Ponzi scheme EVER. She's gotta take that kind of anger out on someone!
But Martha is also good at looking at for number one. I bet if Glenn Beck wasn't available, Palin might just look to her for some help in 2012!
Actually, if it weren't for that conviction, Palin might actually ask her to be her running mate in 2012, especially with this recipe for Baked Alaska!
Joanne Bamberger writes about all sorts of political women at her site, PunditMom. Her work is included in the just released book, Kirtsy Takes a Bow: A Celebration of Women's Online Favorities. Her book about increasing political involvement by mothers, tentatively titled Mothers of Intention, will be published by Bright Sky Press in Fall 2010.