In the first full week of the Summer Olympics, people competed to make the news, even if they weren't in London. If you can answer 11 of these questions correctly, you deserve a medal. Won't get one, but at least you won't be sent home like badminton players.
Here are some random but actual hints: Apparently it's not the only thing; at least he didn't threaten to sock him in the face on live TV; they're not calling him Super Mario; and it was still better than what the British press said. Now put those to good use and take the quiz! Answers are at the bottom of the quiz.
1) Former UN Secretary General Kofi Annan is now also a former what?
a. Board of directors member of the Chick-fil-A corporation
b. UN-Arab League envoy to Syria
c. Owner of an Olympic dressage competition horse
d. Investor in Italian and Spanish bonds
2) Why were eight badminton players ejected from the London Olympics?
a. They failed tests for performance-enhancing drugs
b. They refused to shake their opponents' hands
c. They were accused of losing a game on purpose
d. They flashed gang signs during the opening ceremonies
3) What dubious distinction did the United States achieve this week, due to drought and other conditions?
a. More than half of its counties are officially designated disaster areas
b. Its food is the most expensive in the world
c. It is now in last place for food production among all advanced industrial nations
d. It has recorded 300 straight months of technically "harsh weather" conditions
4) What did U.S. Rep. John Conyers do in his opening statement at a House hearing for English-only legislation?
a. He accused the committee chair of hiring illegal aliens
b. He said the legislation "reeks of Nazi-era law"
c. He spoke in Spanish
d. He urged the legislation be changed to support English, Chinese, and Spanish
5) Gore Vidal passed away this week. Which of the following is not a quote of his?
a. "Andy Warhol is the only genius I've ever known with an IQ of 60"
b. "50 percent of people won't vote, and 50 percent don't read newspapers; I hope it's the same 50 percent"
c. "If Bill [Buckley Jr.] were a food, he'd be a salad, which isn't really food"
d. "American writers want to be not good but great, and so are neither"
6) Where did scientists dig up the remains of a 52-million-year-old rainforest?
a. Europe's southern coast
b. 20 miles south of Moscow
c. North China
7) In the entire history of the modern Summer Olympics, how many countries have earned fewer medals than swimmer Michael Phelps?
b. At least 148
d. Almost 50
8) Who is Ted Cruz?
a. The Texan mayor who will give the keynote address at the Democratic National Convention
b. The Cuban Olympian who won three gold medals in Olympic swimming
c. The president of Chick-fil-A
d. The victorious Tea Party-backed candidate in a U.S. Senate primary in Texas
9) What happened to more than half-a-billion people in India this week?
a. They watched the London Olympics opening ceremonies
b. They suffered the biggest power outage in human history
c. They were inoculated against avian flu in the biggest medical effort in history
d. They had their online identities stolen by the Russian mob
10) Investors this week drove down global stock indexes after they were disappointed by what?
a. Apple's plan to buy part of Twitter
b. The European Central Bank's announced plans for dealing with southern Europe's debt crisis
c. Technology companies' quarterly earnings announcements
d. Sir Paul McCartney's rendition of "Hey Jude" at the Olympics opening ceremonies
BONUS QUESTION) Who said, "Kiss my a--, this is a holy site for the Polish people; show some respect"?
a. Pulaski, Wisconsin, Mayor Ed Podolski
b. TV personality Mo Rocca
c. Mitt Romney spokesman Rick Gorka
d. Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel
Is that still not enough news for you? Join us for each of our Week to Week news commentary programs at The Commonwealth Club's San Francisco auditorium. See the Week to Week website for event dates, audio, and more.
1) b. 2) c. 3) a. 4) c. 5) c. 6) d. 7) b. 8) d. 9) b. 10) b. BONUS: c.
Follow John Zipperer on Twitter: www.twitter.com/cwclub