It's a week of firsts -- or thirds, if you're talking about NBC's Jay Leno exit strategies. Take our quiz and find out how much you know about the week's happenings.
Here are some random but real hints: Walk a mile; finally, a warm-water port for Russia; he gets to go to bed an hour earlier; and she better hope hipsters really are ironic. Answers are at the bottom of the quiz.
1. In his trip to the Middle East, President Obama asked the Palestinians to change what?
a. The relationship between the Palestinian Authority and Hamas-led Gaza
b. Their business rules to allow more investment by American firms
c. Their insistence that Israel freeze settlement development before it resumes peace talks
d. Their health-care system
2. Where did Malala, the Pakistani teenage girl shot in the head by the Taliban for her outspoken support of female education, return to school?
b. Los Angeles
3. An explosion killed numerous people, including a pro-government senior cleric, at a mosque in what Middle Eastern country?
4. What did President Obama tell a group of Israeli students during his trip to their country?
a. Look at the world through the eyes of the Palestinians
b. Demand an end to construction of more settlements on the Palestinian Authority's land
c. Join the Israeli Defense Forces to protect their country
d. Tune in, turn on, drop out
5. Congress passed a budget bill this week that would do what?
a. Completely defund Obamacare
b. Cut spending for the Afghanistan war
c. Cut in half the taxes paid by billionaires
d. Fund the government through September
6. What country agreed to and then rejected a bailout plan that would have levied a tax on individuals' bank accounts?
d. The U.K.
7. What did libertarian GOP Sen. Rand Paul tell the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday?
a. Self-deportation is the most honorable action for undocumented immigrants
b. His maternal grandfather was Hispanic
c. The country has to deal with its undocumented immigrants in some way other than deporting them
d. All immigration should be decreased
8. Who is expected to replace Jay Leno as host of The Tonight Show in 2014?
a. Conan O'Brien
b. Ellen Degeneres
c. Jimmy Fallon
d. Jimmy Kimmel
9. Who is Dr. Benjamin Carson?
a. President Obama's nominee to be the new U.S. surgeon general
b. A pediatric neurosurgeon whose anti-Obamacare speeches have some Republicans calling for him to run for president in 2016
c. The new IMF commissioner charged with cleaning up the financial mess in Europe
d. The latest Democrat to announce his candidacy to unseat Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell
10. How did folk singer Michelle Shocked live up to her name this week?
a. Held a fundraiser for the NRA in Newtown, Connecticut
b. Went on an anti-gay rant during a concert in San Francisco
c. Denounced country legend Johnny Cash during a concert in Nashville
d. Complained that teenagers smell during an interview on MTV
BONUS. Which of these is not a business-related story this week?
a. The U.S. government launched investigations into claims that Microsoft employees had paid bribes to foreign government officials
b. Lululemon pulled its black yoga pants from stores after the pants were revealed to be sort-of see-through
c. Neiman Marcus settled charges with the FTC that the retailer had marketed real fur as fake
d. The new owners of the Hostess brands announced plans to sell licorice Twinkies
ANSWERS: 1) c. 2) c. 3) a. 4) a. 5) d. 6) b. 7) c. 8) c. 9) b. 10) b. BONUS) d.
EXPLANATIONS OF THE HINTS: Obama asked Israelis to walk a mile in the shoes of the Palestinians, metaphorically; Russia is a leading contender to offer some sort of help to Cyprus, considering that much of the endangered bank deposits are from Russian, um, investors; Fallon's late-night show currently follows Leno's on NBC; and it's unclear what Shocked was trying to say, but locals don't seem inclined to believe that she was being ironic.
The news and the quizzes don't stop there! Join us for our next live Week to Week political commentary program with a news quiz at The Commonwealth Club on April 15 in downtown San Francisco. Also see the Week to Week website for event dates, audio, and more.