See how much smarter you are than a Louisiana GOPer by taking our latest Week to Week news quiz.
Here are some random but real hints: More than the dittoheads; maybe that's why they should fear him more; she enjoys federal supremacy over Sutter Brown; and extreme language in the Oval Office is no virtue. Answers are at the bottom of the quiz.
1. Whom did two teenagers beat to death in an apparently random attack in Spokane on Wednesday?
a. A suspected terrorist
b. Their drug dealer
c. An 88-year-old World War II veteran
d. Their millionaire uncle
2. President Obama said the GOP is afraid of whom?
a. Rush Limbaugh
b. President Obama
c. Hillary Clinton
d. Rand Paul
3. According to a Public Policy Polling survey, nearly one-third (29 percent) of Louisiana Republicans blame whom for the poor response to Hurricane Katrina?
a. President George W. Bush
c. FEMA Director Michael Brown
d. President Obama
4. Where was a gunman armed with nearly 500 rounds of ammunition arrested after a standoff?
a. The U.S. Capitol
b. A Georgia elementary school
d. O'Hare Airport
5. The White House said it was "deeply concerned" about what claims?
a. That Syria used chemical weapons against rebels
b. That Egypt's military was overthrowing the democratic regime
c. That France was going to default on its foreign-held debt
d. That Queen Elizabeth was going to abdicate the throne in favor of Prince George Alexander Louis
6. What sentence did Bradley Manning receive for leaking secret files to Wikileaks?
a. 35 years of probation
b. 35-year prison sentence
c. He was pardoned by President Obama
d. Life in maximum security prison
7. Who is Sunny?
a. Sunny Evershadow, President Obama's nominee to be chairman of the Federal Reserve
b. California Governor Jerry Brown's dog
c. The Obamas' new dog
d. The first hurricane to develop off the East Coast this week
8. What reason did one of three accused teenagers give for fatally shooting an Australian student in Oklahoma?
a. The student had threatened to harm them
b. They thought the student was selling drugs and they wanted to stop him
c. The student had argued with one of the teenagers and tried to steal his iPhone
d. They were bored and decided to kill a random victim
9. In newly released audio tapes from 1973, whom does President Richard Nixon call "a pluperfect ass"?
a. Former President Lyndon B. Johnson
b. Senator Barry Goldwater
c. Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward
d. Senator George McGovern
10. Where did German Chancellor Angela Merkel go right after making a memorial visit to the Dachau concentration camp?
a. The Holocaust memorial in Berlin
b. A memorial church service
c. A political rally in a beer tent
d. A private meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
BONUS. Whom was disgraced Chinese politician Bo Xilai describing in his corruption trial when he said "She's insane, often tells lies"?
a. Hillary Clinton
b. An invisible pixie who whispers the names of enemies he should eliminate
c. His wife
d. J.K. Rowling
The news and the quizzes don't stop there! Join us when we head to Silicon Valley for our next live Week to Week political roundtable with a news quiz at The Commonwealth Club on September 10.
ANSWERS: 1) c. 2) a. 3) d. 4) b. 5) a. 6) b. 7) c. 8) d. 9) b. 10) c. BONUS) c.
EXPLANATIONS OF THE HINTS: More than the dittoheads: Obama said there were Republican lawmakers who agreed with him on budget issues but who were afraid to buck the will of Rush Limbaugh and his fans; maybe that's why they should fear him more: If GOPers did fear Obama, it might be because a surprising number of them in Louisiana think he was responsible for the Katrina aftermath, even though he wasn't president then; she enjoys federal supremacy over Sutter Brown: Sunny, Obama's new dog, has more federal doggie powers than the dog of the governor of California; and extreme language in the Oval Office is no virtue: Nixon can be heard on the new tapes complaining about Goldwater not supporting him during the Watergate mess.
Follow John Zipperer on Twitter: www.twitter.com/cwclub