The French have a word for what? Who can't be Republican? Take our news quiz and see how much you were paying attention to the week's news.
Here are some random but real hints: Wonder if Liddy agrees; say it in English and French; he loves those acronyms; and greet it with a "galocher"! Answers are at the bottom of the quiz.
1. Whom did President Obama choose to be the next FBI director?
a. Retired general and former CIA director David Patraeus
b. Former Bush administration Justice Department official James Comey
c. Former New Jersey Governor Christine Todd Whitman
d. Senator Claire McCaskill
2. Who claimed to have received new shipments of Russian missiles this week?
a. Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro
b. North Korean leader Kim Jong-un
c. Syrian President Bashar Assad
d. Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych
3. According to a new Pew study, 40 percent of American households with children now have what?
a. An SUV
b. A woman who is the primary or sole breadwinner
c. Debt of more than $50,000
d. A mortgage that is underwater
4. Who doesn't want to meet with U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder?
a. Major news organizations
b. President Barack Obama
c. Speaker of the House John Boehner
d. The relatives of Guantanamo inmates
5. Who said "I doubt it" when asked if he could thrive in today's Republican Party?
a. George W. Bush
b. Chris Christie
c. Bob Dole
d. Newt Gingrich
6. Who said "I do not use crack cocaine, nor am I an addict"?
a. British Prime Minister David Cameron
b. New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg
c. Toronto Mayor Rob Ford
d. Justin Bieber
7. Motorola announced plans to be the first to do what?
a. Build a tablet computer for the space station
b. Manufacture a smartphone in the United States
c. Create an Internet-enabled ankle bracelet
d. Completely outsource its staff to China
8. Who announced an intention not to run for re-election?
a. U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein
b. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo
c. Rhode Island Governor Lincoln Chafee
d. U.S. Representative Michele Bachmann
9. Retired general and former CIA director David Petraeus has a new job. What is it?
a. President of KKR Global Institute
b. Executive Chairman of McDonnell Douglas
c. Executive Vice President of the Heritage Foundation
d. President of Halliburton
10. Conservative Eagle Forum founder Phyllis Schlafly said that instead of reaching out to Hispanic voters, the Republican Party needed to reach out to what group?
a. African Americans
d. Working mothers
BONUS. French dictionaries have finally added a word for what English term?
a. May the force be with you
b. Statue of Liberty
c. French kiss
The news and the quizzes don't stop there! Join us for our next live Week to Week political commentary program with a news quiz at The Commonwealth Club on June 10 in San Francisco, featuring Debra J. Saunders, Melissa Griffin, and Dr. Larry Gerston.
ANSWERS: 1) b. 2) c. 3) b. 4) a. 5) c. 6) c. 7) b. 8) d. 9) a. 10) c. BONUS) c.
EXPLANATIONS OF THE HINTS: Bob Dole's wife, Elizabeth "Liddy" Dole, is also a former U.S. senator; Canada is bilingual; from CIA to KKR; and "galocher" is the word for "French kissing" that was just introduced into a popular French dictionary.
Follow John Zipperer on Twitter: www.twitter.com/cwclub