It looks like Scott Stapp has set himself free from his "own prison," and is embracing life to the fullest with his second solo album fittingly entitled Proof of Life. It's been no secret that the Creed frontman has had his shair of struggles over the years, and we can...
"Standing in line to
See the show tonight
And there's a light on
Waiting on a line that wrapped around two or sometimes three blocks - often times - getting soaked by a cold and misty rain. Approaching the marquee, and having...
Do you remember those old school ads of a "hot" new item that "slices and dices?" It's not necessarily important that you do or not, but it's the first thought that entered my mind right before interview hardrocker and filmmaker
In 2004, Los Lonely Boys broke through the mainstream faster than a vintage Rickey Henderson on roller skates in an ice storm with their inspiring song "Heaven." It's hard to believe the "Texican" rock trio dropped that super hit a decade ago. What's even harder to believe is that this...
Here's part two of A-Sides' exclusive performances taken at the Savannah Stopover Festival last month. Again, watch some great bands performing great tracks in the great, rich-in-history, sometimes-creepy city of Savannah. Just the music. A-Sides Live filmed by Jon Paul Graham. Before we get...
Each year SXSW gets all the press, and rightfully so, but a fest just before it keeps gaining more and more momentum year after year. Yep, the Savannah Stopover Music Festival is coming on like Vickie from Small Wonder on extra-strength batteries, and methinks it'll be more than just a...
Most people fell in love with Scottish indie rockers Glasvegas when they dropped "Geraldine" in 2008, and rightfully so. That international hit put the band (James Allan, Rab Allan, Paul Donoghue, and Jonna Lofgren) on the map (it's a cliche to say but it's really true), and matched an infectious...
On the surface, Andrew W.K. has made a career out of being a "professional partier," but if you peel off some layers to that persona, which is very real by the way, you'd find there's much more to the man than headbanging, long hair, white tees and pants,...
We live in a self-absorbed, selfie-obsessed world, but I still believe music still has the power to breakthrough no matter how self-involved or how communication-reliant we've become. It can inspire, change, and heal, and I bet Gedeon Luke agrees. Have a listen to his music, and you'll instantly...
If you've seen electro-rockers Vinyl Thief live you know their shows are highly energized and boisterously awesome. Last month, the Nashville band treated me to the antithesis of that by playing it acoustic and laid back at the Music Conservatory of Westchester in White Plains, where "this guy"...
Jump on this.
MisterWives are a New York-based band and are probably the next band you should be getting behind. That's what she said. Anyway, the New York City band (Mandy Lee, Etienne Bowler, Will Hehir, Marc Campbell, Dr. Blum,...
It has something to do with a piggy bank. That's about all I could take away from the online bio for California's New Beat Fund, and that's totally fine. A band isn't defined by their biography. It's all about the music, and that's why G-Punk superstars New Beat...
This isn't your grandmother's R&B. I have no idea what that means, but let's just say Jarell Perry is making the genre his own by incorporating old school genre vibes with elements of everything from indie-rock to electro beats. The LA-based singer/songwrier's debut LP "Simple Things" drew praise...
Video killed the radio star decades ago. Internet killed everything else. Personally, it utterly destroyed living in the moment. Too often, as I watch my favorite television shows or awards shows I'm either "status messaging" on Zuckerbook or "live tweeting" on Twitter as the action unfolds. It's a wonderful interactive way of experience a show with million web crawlers, but it also crushes the wonderment of individually watching something intently. I bring this up because recently I live tweeted the Grammy's, and felt like I missed out somehow. Having said that, in looking back there was little to miss. On the contrary, when I opted to simply watch the Golden Globes, I found myself magically transported back to a time in which viewers actually viewed, and tossed their comments at the screen versus an entire online world. It was a majestic experience.
With that said, a week from today the 86th Annual Academy Awards are on, and I'm kicking it old school by simply watching them on my own. Me + couch = me + couch. That said, if Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve can prerecord performances celebrating the new year, why can't I pre-tweet my anticipated live tweets for Oscar night? Below, you'll find my top 86 tweets today -- likely out of order if you read them back on Oscar night. #itllbecloseenough #livinginthemoment #watchingtheshow #popcorn #stillskippingtheredcarpetcoveragesoidontdiealittleinside
1. Here we go if Ellen doesnt vaccum its already a step up from her last time #oscars #ellen
2. Killer montage -- nice Seth cameo #familyguy #oscars #ellen
3. Nice opening from Ellen -- classy, funny, safe -- just what they wanted this year #oscars
4. McCanaughey may be the new Clooney or Jack -- camera keeps panning to him like royalty #oscars
5. Best sound editing -- and the #gravity train starts rolling #oscars
6. June Squibb is looking mighty fine tonight #oscars #justsayin
7. Best sound mixing -- I'd like to see #captphillips here but I'll say #gravity wins #oscars #2for2
8. First commercial break -- taking a Christine Lahti pee right now #oscars
9.. Here we go -- Anne Hathaway -- lets see if she can present without making it about herself #oscars #lesmis #boyhaircutintact
10. No one is touching Leto on this one. #bestsupportingactor #dallasbuyersclub #oscars
11. Let me know when Somali pirates are added to the Disney ride #oscars
12. Leto wins! Terrible hair right now, brilliant performance #oscars
13. Camera cut to Lupita #oscars #lovebirds
14. Nice tribute to Hitchcock -- much better than the turd they did for Bond last year #kimnovak #oscars
15. Makeup -- something tells me low-hanging balls of #badgrandpa will get overlooked here #oscars
16. 2 for 2 -- #dallasbuyersclub #oscars #makeup #leto
17. Costume design -- something tells me #hustle is about to win its first gold guy of the night #maybeitsonlyoneofthenight #oscars
18. Boom #hustle #oscars
19. Why can't Uma and Oprah present together? #oscars
20. Cool to see Karen O at the Oscars backed by Spike on guitar #oscars #whatisshewearing
21. Production Design -- I'd say #Gatsby may have this one #notgoingtobeherandthehighpantsjoaquinwore
22. And #12years pulls an upset #oscars
23. Tony Danza should've been nominated for #donjon #scarlettaswell #oscars
24. Here comes Christoph Waltz... Supporting actress -- Lawrence deserves it but cant see Lupita not getting it #oscars
25. Lupita wins! Camera pans to #leto but he's not there because he's in the back doing media #oscars
26. Camera keeps panning to Brad and Angelina also #noclooneythisyear #jacknoshow
27. These tributes to "heroes" are very good. Glad they opted not to show clips from NBC's "Heroes" in anyway, shape or form #oscars
28. Pink just nailed that #wizardofoz tribute
29. So glad Pharrell left the hat at home tonight #oscars #happy #parkranger
30. Documentary categories coming up -- I'll go with #actofkilling and #facingfear
31. Boom -- #actofkilling congrats #drafthouse #oscars
32. No #facingfear, #cavedigger wins #icantpredictdocushorts #oscars
33. Continual extreme close-ups #matthewmccomeback #oscars
34. So far, no Woody Allen jokes. Methinks none will come up #butifsethhosted #oscars
35. Live action short goes to Martin Short? #oscars
36. #ThatWasntMe wins Live Action; #GetaHorse wins Animated Short and I feel bad for not seeing either #oscars
37. Ellen is keeping a nice flow to the show -- next year it's got to be Timberlake hosting though, OK? #oscars
38. #VisualEffects -- why even read the nominees? #gravitywinsagain #oscars
39. Idina Menzel just brought the house down with #letitgo
40. I wonder what's happening on #thewalkingdead #oscars #dontkilldarryl
41. Let me know when Bette Midler's on so I can turn it off #oscars #zing #therose
42. #BestAnimatedFeature #frozen wins and no one is surprised except maybe #thewindrises team #oscars
43. Will Forte at the Oscars? Never thought I'd utter that line. #oscars
44. #ForeignLanguage film -- I'll say #thehunt wins this one #oscars
45. And it doesn't -- #othegreatbeauty wins #oscars
46. Camera has three angles tonight: #mcconaughey #thepitts and #bono #oscars
47. #cinematography is up next -- First upset of the night!? #nebraska over #gravity um, no #oscars #gravitywinsagain
48. Original Score time -- will #gravity win again? I think it deserves this but I love me some #arcadefire Go #her #oscars
49. Wow -- pretty surprising Alexandre Desplat pulls upset for #Philomena. He's overdue though #oscars
50. U2 hit the stage -- #ordinarylove sounds like vintage #u2 which is a good thing #oscars #itwontwin #frozenout
51. Best director this early? Nuts. I'm saying #gravity again
52. Much deserved #curaron #oscars
53. I want to be the third musketeer in this jonah/leo bromance #oscars
53. Best song goes to... #Frozen ? #oscars
54. No, U2 wins it! That's a shock... good for them -- they're royalty and #mandela sentiment runs wild #oscars
55. Not surprising PSH gets the most cheers during the #inmemoriam tribute -- such a tough year #oscars #gandolfini #hoffman
56. Film editing is next and whoever wins this takes traditionally takes home best pic #oscars
57. My gut tells me #gravity over #hustle and #12years #oscars
58. Boom... #Gravity takes another one #oscars
59. Bette Midler! #oscars #sigh #selfhighfiveshimself #misses
60. They keep cutting people's speeches short #imtweetingthisbecauseeverybodywillsaythis #oscars
61. Melissa Leo was great in #prisoners and that movie was great -- cant believe it got little love from the academy #oscars #leosadstillburnspeople
62. Where's Ellen? #shehasntbeenonin20minutes #oscars
63. Screenplay awards coming up -- I'll say #her and #12years respectively win #oscars
64. So awesome to see Spike Jonze win an Oscar #oscars #johnmalkovichwouldbepleased
65. The air in the #americanhustle baloon is officially deflated #oscars #silverlingswasbetter
66. Ethan Hawke is a three-time Oscar nominee #justsaying #noonesaysit #oscars
67. Did I mention June Squibb is looking sexy tonight? #oscars
68. Enough with these hero montages! #oscars #harrypotter #whereschewbacca
69. #theenglishpatient is still a terrible movie by the way #leftfield #oscars
70. Still looking for an upset tonight but everything is really playing according to plan. Will Amy Adams surprise? #bestactress #oscars
71. The Woody backlash won't prevent Cate from winning. It will, however, prevent Cate from probably doing another Woody movie. #discuss #oscars
72. Boob tape #amyadams #oscars
73. Daniel Day-Lewis always looks so happy -- so much happier than his look-a-like Morrissey #getthatguyalollipop #oscars
74. Cate wins! She was awful in #theaviator but totally deserved it for #bluejasmine #oscars
75. Nice speech by Cate -- best of the night probably #oscars
76. Another heroes montage -- It's Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford together! #inmydreams #oscars
77. Best Actor is next. #oscars #jenniferlawrencelookshot #notashotasjunesquibb
78. It's between Leo and Matthew here, and I gotta believe it's #alrightalrightalright #oscars
79. Bruce Dern gets a nice pop from the crowd. #oscars
80. UPSET? No. Matthew wins! Much deserved. This guy is killing it right now #mud #hbo #oscars
81. Will Jonah still hang out with Leo even though he lost? #oscars #theresalwaystobey
82. First standing O of the night #oscars #justkeeplivin
83. Who will present best picture? I certainly hope it's not Jack and First Lady again #oscars
84. Insert legendary, iconic actor here to present best picture #oscars #guessingitsrobertdeniro
85. And the winner is... #oscars I'm still saying #gravity
86. #12Years! Upset sort of! #oscars #okmaybegravitywillwin
About A-Sides with Jon Chattman
Jon Chattman's "A-Sides" series was established in August 2011 and usually features musicians (established or not) from all genres performing a track, and discussing what it means to them. This informal series focuses on the artist making art in a low-threatening, extremely informal (sometimes humorous) way. No bells, no whistles -- just the music performed in a random, low-key setting followed by an unrehearsed chat. In an industry where everything often gets overblown and over manufactured, From time to time A-Sides, extends to film and television.
A-Sides' Second Possibly Annual Pop Goes the Culture is
The DC trio RDGLDGRN have been genre-bending for years with infectious music that knows no bounds and personally make me wish I were 1/4 as talented as these dudes. Anyway, now that their self-titled debut is out, the world is getting to see it, hear it, live it, and love...
Committing to email interviews with talent can be a tricky thing. Often times, wit and/or humor - attempts at it anyway - can get lost in translation and you run the risk of a piece coming off lamer than the last 20 minutes of Machete Kills! Thankfully, that wasn't the...
A year-and-a-half ago, Sleigh Bells' Derek Miller and Alexis Krauss and I chatted from inside their dressing room at The Capitol Theatre in Port Chester and discussed everything from touring to their then-new record Reign of Terror. A common theme that arose during the interview was how they always push themselves to the next level, and never stop working. Case in point: the band dropped their third (dare I say BEST) album Bitter Rivals last October, and methinks a fourth album will be in the works by the time I put a period to this sentence. And so it is. Anyway, I chatted with Miller last week about all things Rivals, game raising, and more. You'll read it, won't you? Of course you will but know this: the band just finished a brief tour at the tail end of last year, but will be back kicking ass on the road in 2014. They'll also be at Coachella with everyone and your mother. What? Your mother is going to Coachella? OK, now read on.
Last time we talked - you were in the midst of your latest album, talking about Beyonce , among others, as key influences. You really painted the picture well for what your next album would be. You can hear r&b throughout Bitter Rivals. Did all of your plans come together on the record?
We consistently felt pretty ecstatic and inspired while we were recording. I can't ask for much more beyond that. It's always easy to shred anything and everything you've done once you move past it, which we have. At the time it felt great, but from a production standpoint my approach has changed drastically since we finished tracking in June of last year.
When it dropped, were you surprised that some critics and cynics seemed surprised by a so-called "new sound with the new album?
I didn't have any expectations. Positive reviews are appreciated but they roll right off you. Negative attention usually pisses me off in a good way...it strengthens my resolve, inspires me...all that.
Same only not really. Is there a theme that travels through the record? Like, in other words, is there a common thread each song has with one another?
Not that I can tell. I tend to be abstract...I try not to be too precious about the process. You can get bogged down by wanting to say something "profound" or honest or important. I usually end up with a mixture of something sincere and absurd. Maybe funny or bad at times, but maybe something true and naked in there as well.
You each seem like perfectionists - especially you - are you pleased with album #3 in its entirety - or can you pick it apart?
I don't consider myself a perfectionist. I think my ability to let certain things go allows us to be productive and move forward. If I was hung up on getting everything "right" I'd be paralyzed. Not just in the studio...late night TV performances are a good example. Their engineers mix the broadcast with minimal input from you. It's a massive compromise, but the alternative is...you can't do them. It's a give and take.
We also talked about how prolific you guys are. Can we expect a new album in 2014?
We are working on a ton of stuff...new record in 2015 for sure. [The] new material feels really strong. I'm not trying to force as much sound through the speakers. Alexis and I are continuing to write together, which is the most exciting part for me.
And you thought Arcade Fire had a lot of members... The Sharp Things have shared the stage with as many artists as 25, and have played tunes with a 40-piece orchestra. Girth isn't all this NYC band has going for it. They're likely the most prolific and ambitious band making music in the big apple right now. The indie pop ensemble just dropped The Truth Is Like The Sun, the second installment of the bands' "Dogs of Bushwick" four-album series. Yep, I said four albums. The first installment - Green Is Good - dropped a year ago, and in time, two more full lengthers will be released. Late last month the band - led by songwriter/pianist Perry Serpa for some 15-plus years - performed a pair of tracks for A-Sides, and sat for a chat. Watch. Listen. Love.
"There's Been No One Since You"
For "Dogs of Bushwick" live, click here!
A-Sides "Delve Into Twelve" Countdown
Each week A-Sides unleashes its Top 12 tracks of the week AKA the "Delve Into Twelve"based on the following contributing factors: songs I'm playing out that particular week NO MATTER WHEN THEY WERE RELEASED (think overlooked songs, unreleased tracks, and old favorites), songs various publicists are trying to get me to listen to that I did and dug a bunch, posts and trends I've noticed on my friends' Facebook walls, and - most importantly - the songs my two-year-old son gravitates toward by stomping his feet in approval. Yeah, you read that right. This weeks follows below (LW= last week's rank).
12. "I Need My Girl" - The National
11. "Reflections" - MisterWives
10. "Young Heart" - Blondfire
9. "Thunder Clatter" (LW-9) - Wild Cub
8. "The Moon Song" (LW-5) - Karen O.
7. "Shark Attack" (LW-2) - Grouplove
6. "Lost Boys and Girls Club" (LW-3)- The Dum Dum Girls
5. "XO" (LW-4) - Beyonce
4. "Things We Lost in the Fire" - Bastille
3. "Doses and Mimosas" - Cherub
2. "I Sat By the Ocean" (LW-7) - Queens of the Stone Age
1. "You're Not Good Enough" (LW-1) - Blood Orange
About A-Sides Music
Jon Chattman's "A-Sides Music" series was established in August 2011 and usually features artists (established or not) from all genres performing a track, and discussing what it means to them. This informal series focuses on the artist making art in a low-threatening, extremely informal (sometimes humorous) way. No bells, no whistles -- just the music performed in a random, low-key setting followed by an unrehearsed chat. In an industry where everything often gets overblown and over manufactured, I'm hoping this is refreshing. Thus far artists who have appeared on the series include: fun, American Authors, Imagine Dragons (interview only), Jake Miller, Gary Clark Jr., Sleigh Bells (interview only), Dispatch, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, San Fermin, and more!
A-Sides' 2nd Possibly Annual Pop Goes the Culture is
A few weeks ago, Punxsutawney Phil predicted six more weeks of winter and overexposure for Lorde. OK, that latter statement isn't true but it certainly feels like it. All the praise - the Rolling Stone cover, the Grammy - is warranted for...
Bad Suns isn't the name of another Stephenie Meyer tween schlock franchise. It's the moniker
Woodland Hills' natives Christo Bowman, Miles Morris, Gavin Bennett, and Ray Libby use when making some pretty kick-ass music. You've probably heard the band's debut single "Cardiac Arrest" on your favorite...
I love it when music bloggers say an artist is "on the rise" or "on the cusp" of stardom. Often times, it's just a way to move their story along. Um, I'll be damned if I'm not about to do that myself. Courtesy of forces unknown to me, I feel...