Staying productive as an entrepreneur can be a challenge, but these 5 tips can keep you focused and diligent in even the most stressful times.
You're an entrepreneur, and part of being an entrepreneur is feeling overloaded and occasionally too distracted to get any real work done.
We've all been there.
Sometimes it feels like it's impossible to feel productive, but the reality is you are in complete control of how much work you can get done. It may require prioritization, delegation or a number of other strategies to make it work for you, but as an entrepreneur you'll need to learn these strategies if you're going to see your company thrive.
These five strategies are some of the most effective for entrepreneurs (and their employees, too!). Play around and see what works best for you -- eventually, you'll find yourself getting more done on a daily basis, and feeling better about your workload.
1. Break down your tasks. Having a big list of small to-dos is better than a small list of gigantic ones. Keeping your list filled with smaller tasks allows you to properly focus on one step at a time. Plus, you'll feel more accomplished as you cross items off your list and will be less likely to skip over individual components of your tasks.
2. Walk away. It seems counterintuitive to walk away from something when your goal is to be more productive. But research shows that individuals who take small breaks throughout the day tend to get more done than people who power through lunch breaks or stare at a screen all day. Relax your mind occasionally to get better results.
3. Work hard to easy. Do the most challenging work first -- your mind will be at 100 percent capacity, and you'll have stronger momentum to tackle your easier work later on.
4. Delegate what you can. It's hard to let go of items you think only you can do, especially when you're invested in their final result. But part of being an entrepreneur means creating a team you can trust to see those same results.
5. Create time blocks. Distraction and rapid task alternation are the main culprits behind most productivity losses. Set aside time to answer emails or to return phone calls so you aren't distracted while you're focusing on something bigger.
Put these strategies into motion, and annihilate your task list -- even if it regenerates by the next day.
Jose Vasquez is a serial entrepreneur and tech enthusiast dedicated to helping startup technology companies get the direction and momentum they need to succeed. As the founder of Build. Brand. Blast., Jose has established a collective resource for tech entrepreneurs to consult when brainstorming, creating, launching, or expanding a new business. Jose is also the founder and CEO of Quez Media Marketing, a marketing firm that combines technology and creativity to help new and growing companies get the results they need.
Jose graduated from Goldman Sachs' 10,000 Small Businesses program. Goldman Sachs is a partner of the What Is Working: Small Businesses section.