Habits are what make us who we were, and these seven daily tasks can help you become a better entrepreneur.
As an entrepreneur, you're used to following your own tempo, using your innovative mind to unlock new secrets in the business world and try new things where others nervously adhere to what they're used to. Habits can be seen as both a necessity and a weakness for a busy entrepreneur; getting trapped into the same cycle of tasks can lead to stagnation, but on the other hand, a solid, repeatable process can be a consistent recipe for success.
Everyone needs a different blend of predictability and spontaneity in the way they run their business. Even so, there are a handful of daily habits that almost every entrepreneur can use for their benefit. Incorporate these seven tasks into your morning routine, or at least give them a shot:
1. Read your emails, then shut it down. Get caught up on what's happened since you logged off yesterday, but don't leave your email open for the rest of the day. Get the information you need, then avoid getting distracted with it by setting a time later in the day to catch up again.
2. Exercise. It doesn't take much to get the benefits of exercise. As little as 15 minutes can be effective in reducing stress, improving focus, and energizing you.
3. Meditate. This doesn't necessarily mean sitting cross-legged on a yoga mat. Find a way to clear your mind and be at peace, completely distraction-free, for 20-30 minutes in the morning. It's a perfect way to clear your mind's cache of unnecessary distractions.
4. Prioritize. Sketch out a gameplan for your day, if you don't already do this the night before. Create a list of tasks that must be done, a list that should get done, and a list that would be nice to get done. Tackle your hardest tasks first.
5. Eat. Don't get lost in the shuffle or you'll set yourself up for inefficiency. Don't skip breakfast. Seriously.
6. Read. Find time to get up to speed with a newspaper, book or online publication -- anything that will give you insight into what's happening in the world around you. Consider an audiobook for your daily commute if you find it hard to make time.
7. Clean. A tidy desk or workspace can encourage more organized thoughts. Take some time in the morning to keep your workspace clutter-free.
Like I said, not everyone will respond to these the same way. But great days start with great mornings, and if you can perfect your morning routine, you'll be setting yourself up for a consistent, efficient plan of attack.
Jose Vasquez is a serial entrepreneur and tech enthusiast dedicated to helping startup technology companies get the direction and momentum they need to succeed. As the founder of Build. Brand. Blast., Jose has established a collective resource for tech entrepreneurs to consult when brainstorming, creating, launching, or expanding a new business. Jose is also the founder and CEO of Quez Media Marketing, a marketing firm that combines technology and creativity to help new and growing companies get the results they need.