"We came. We saw. He died." Could there be a more grotesque scene? U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is shown on camera cackling over the mob riot in Sirte that resulted in the death of longtime Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi. It's not even Halloween yet, but Hillary seems to be getting an incredible kick out of the lynching of this miscreant.
Did you ever wonder why our relations with other nations are conducted by a State Department and not a Foreign Ministry, or Department of Foreign Affairs? Secretary of State was the title held first by Thomas Jefferson. It was intended to convey a sense of, well, stateliness. The office was conceived as one that would lend dignity and purpose to the struggling new republic. Where is the dignity and purpose in Hillary's bizarre
Totentanz? (Dance of Death)
Is this any way to react to a lynching? We don't need to shed any tears for Muammar Gaddafi. He murdered U.S. servicemen in a Berlin disco in 1986. That got him a visit from U.S. jets dispatched from the Mediterranean fleet by President Ronald Reagan. The Gipper called Gaddafi "the mad dog of the Middle East." Gaddafi also murdered 270, mostly Americans, in the bombing of PanAm Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland.
How much more preferable it would have been had the United States of America knocked Gaddafi out after one of those terrorist attacks. Instead, we were led to view him as some kind of reformed desert despot. President Obama even included millions for the military of this oil-rich tyrant in his FY 2011 budget!
The new government in Libya, the one Hillary is happy to welcome to the family of nations, refuses to give up the Lockerbie bomber. That's not a very favorable sign at the outset. And it seems the new government will be well advised by experienced members of the Muslim Brotherhood. So let's hold the champagne corks.
Hillary Clinton may not be the worst U.S. Secretary of State. That title was claimed by Cyrus Vance in 1980. The most dignified of the striped pants sort of American diplomats, Vance resigned in protest from Jimmy Carter's Cabinet. The issue was Carter's sending the U.S. Delta Force into Iran in an abortive attempt to free our 52 hostages. The mission tragically failed as two of our military aircraft collided at Desert One, resulting in the deaths of eight brave Americans. Vance did not resign because Carter's feckless effort failed. He quit because it might have succeeded.
But if Hillary is not the worst Secretary of State, she's surely a contender. Consider these episodes.
- She produced a red "Re-set" button for her first meeting with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov. That was meant to give the Russians a Mulligan for their unprovoked aggression against the neighboring Republic of Georgia. The button was spelled wrong, as the grim Lavrov quickly pointed out. And it wasn't even written in the Russian Cyrillic alphabet.
- She went to Ottawa and publicly berated Prime Minister Stephan Harper's government for their failure to include abortion in their most commendable aid package for African mothers and their newborn infants.
- She became the first U.S. Secretary of State to try to limit the numbers of Jews allowed to live in the capital of the Jewish state, Jerusalem.
- She has yet to follow through on promises to move the U.S. Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. But she has no apparent problem with dispatching a U.S. Ambassador to the Federal Republic of Germany to Berlin. The Germans get to name their own capital, but not the Jews?
- She intervened to help "Lady Gaga" perform in Rome at the Circus Maximus for a gay pride event, practically on the Pope's front porch.
Hillary once said abortion is "wrong" (Newsweek, 31 October 1994) but she has spared no effort in trying to make it a human right around the world. Odd how a wrong becomes a right, isn't it?
It isn't easy to become the most anti-Jewish and the most anti-Catholic Secretary of State in U.S. history, but she wins this title hands down. Say, where's her Nobel Peace Prize?
Finally, there's Hillary yukking it up with Aghan President Hamid Karzai over GOP contender Herman Cain's dismissive comments. Cain said he didn't know the presidents of the "'Stans." Hillary does. And it apparently doesn't bother her that Karzai openly admits to taking bags of gold from the Iranian mullahs, the world's leading sponsors of terrorism. (If she's in doubt on this point, she might consult her own State Department reports on human rights and religious freedom.)
Whatever happened to "politics stops at the water's edge"? That used to be our honorable tradition for Secretaries of State. But Hillary began her public career interrupting and sassing that most dignified of men, Massachusetts Sen. Edward Brooke. Brooke was the first black U.S. Senator elected since Reconstruction. No matter. Hillary was a student radical in those days. She did her bizarre little dance then and it seems she's still dancing.
Follow Ken Blackwell on Twitter: www.twitter.com/kenblackwell