When Michael Showalter walked onto the set of "Geeking Out," my first thought was, "I can't wait to hear all about the Wet Hot American Summer prequel!" That thought, however, was quickly squashed by a larger, more looming thought: "I hope he doesn't remember that time I cornered him on the sidewalk six years ago and blurted the word 'vadge' in his face."
It's a longer story for another time, but in short: I recognized Michael from afar, approached with good intentions, and then crazily spewed my superfandom all over his face while he politely nodded, clearly wishing he was anywhere else but standing in front of me. The one-sided conversation ended when I rehashed one of his own jokes to him, which ended with the punchline, "vadge." The word hung heavily in the air between us like damp, wet laundry.
It was my very first celebrity geek-out. And it. Was. Awkward.
When Michael arrived for our interview, I gingerly asked if he remembered the time I approached him on the street. Guess what? He didn't! So let this be a lesson to anyone who has ever embarrassed him or herself in front of a celebrity. With some time, they will likely forget your face and - if you're lucky - the entire incident!
With that out of the way, I was able to get into my interview with Mr. Showalter, which included talk about the highly anticipated prequel to the 2001 cult classic Wet Hot American Summer, which he co-wrote and starred in. I'm a huge fan of WHAS, and often pop the DVD in when going to bed so that I may be lulled to sleep by the gentle sound of thousands of special commentary farts.
I'm super excited for the prequel, and here are five things that I hope to see in it:
1. The return of Alan Shemper (according to Mr. Showalter, this one's looking good!)
2. Gene continuing to embrace his weird, freaky behavior (I'd like to see him fall in love with a toaster this time around.)
3. Coop finally finding love (we know he loves sluts! It just has to be the right slut.)
4. Andy having to pick up another fork and plate.
5. Me, in the movie (I wasn't shameless six years ago, and I'm not shameless now! Seriously, guys. I'd make a great camper. I own my own tube socks and everything!)
Kerri Doherty is the creator and host of a brand new show on Official Comedy called Geeking Out - a fanatic and often awkward celebrity interview series hosted by everyone's #1 FAN. Don't miss the next episode, when she tries to help comedian Mike Birbiglia overcome his fear of bears by putting one directly in his face.