Music and yoga are both intimate and immediate experiences. For me, nothing beats an asana class and good tunes to help me unwind, reconnect and focus on the present moment.
Growing up, my family always had music playing and my mom, dad, brothers and I would sing along. We would take summer road trips, and I have vivid memories of listening to my dad's favorite musicians like James Taylor, The Beatles, and Simon and Garfunkel (to name a few). At night when we were out camping under the Idaho stars, we'd sing around the campfire as well. When I'm taking or teaching a yoga class, it's hard not to want to sing out loud along with the songs playing through the stereo.
A well-rounded yoga practice reminds me a lot of a good road trip. Listening to good tunes, surrounded by people you love, exploring new places and getting to know yourself better every time. I personally like my yoga music playlist to evoke a feeling of being on the road where life is free and effortless and you're just along for a good ride.
This playlist includes some of those tunes from my childhood as well as some modern-day bands that remind me of dad's and my favorites. I think of John Mayer as a new James Taylor, Coldplay/The Beatles, Jack Johnson/The Eagles, Death Cab for Cutie/Simon and Garfunkel. I threw in some of my other favorite tunes that remind me of living life fully and not being afraid to explore new roads.
You can use this playlist for a yoga practice, Pilates mat workout or just take it with you on your road trips this summer. Happy travels on and off your mat!
- "Here Comes the Sun" The Beatles (not available on Spotify)
- "Yellow" Coldplay
- "Take It Easy" The Eagles (not available on Spotify)
- "Do You Remember" Jack Johnson
- "Carolina In My Mind" James Taylor
- "Stop This Train" John Mayer
- The Only Living Boy in New York" Simon & Garfunkel
- "I Will Follow You into the Dark" Death Cab for Cutie
- "Solsbury Hill" Peter Gabriel
- "Open Your Eyes" Snow Patrol
- "Sunrise" Norah Jones
- "Stir it Up" Bob Marley
- "Try Again" Keane
- "Sail Away" David Gray
- "Landslide" Fleetwood Mac
- "Blackbird" Sarah McLachlan
- "Gayatri Mantra" Deva Premal and Mitten
- "Three More Days" Ray LaMontagne
- "Hallelujah" Jeff Buckley
- "Imagine" John Lennon (not available on Spotify)
For more by Kristin McGee, click here.
For more HuffPost Workouts playlists, click here.
We’re basically your best friend… with better taste. Learn more