Ask yourself, "What is today?"
Today is a day unlike any other. It's a one-of-a-kind, never-to-come-again, potentially life-defining window of time that's only available for the next 24 hours.
Today is not like anything you knew yesterday or anything you might discover tomorrow. It's not a moment you live for but the moment you live in right now.
Today you will not sit around waiting for your time to come. Today you will not worry about the future or regret the past. Today is your day. You own it.
Today is the day you become keenly aware of the unlimited quantities of potential held deep within yourself.
Today is the day when couches get carried to the curb, when life starts getting lived without any regrets and all forms of second guessing come to an abrupt halt.
Today you will choose to jump out of bed sparked by the awesome awareness that today is one in a limited series, the priceless thing that makes life so incredibly valuable.
Today is the day you take that walk on the wild side, your true side, the best side of yourself that faces the sun with open arms, an open heart and a wide-open mind ready to experience every awesome minute to the maximum extent of the laws of the universe.
Today is the day you embrace the opportunity to make a difference in your community and the lives of others, perhaps even a complete stranger or two. It's the day you tell the people you love that you love them, and the people you hold a grudge against that it's OK; they are forgiven.
Live for today, starting now. And before this day is over, make sure you know yourself better than you have ever known yourself before. Life is too short to live a single moment in neutral. Today you will take your foot off the brakes and go in hot pursuit of your dreams. To be alive requires movement. Make sure you are the one leading it!
Here are some actionable steps to practice living in the now:
- Make today count with love: Take three minutes to express gratitude to someone in your life. Write them an email, a text, or, better yet, a handwritten letter.
- Make today count with pleasure: Pick your favorite piece of candy -- a truffle, a chocolate kiss, a Lifesaver. Take your time and savor life's sweetness. Why rush? You eat how you think, so be in the moment and indulge in every precious nanosecond of pleasure.
- Make today count with a smile: Do not fall asleep without generating at least three smiles from those who surround you, from a colleague to your barista to a stranger. Make the exponential power of the butterfly effect spread through the light in your smile!
- Make today count with sweat: Move, move some more, and keep moving until you break a sweat! It's that simple. Just break a sweat today!
- Make today count with H2O and oxygen: Make sure you make your water consumption and oxygen intake specific. Just as athletes use meticulous rituals, so do you as of today! Count your gulps, and count your deep breaths. Add 20 gulps of water and 20 deep breaths and you have just made your life healthier today!
Make today count. You don't get it back!
Join the conversation below and share with us what you are going to do to make a difference today.
Follow Leigh and Mind in Motion on Facebook.