Happy Thursday everyone, here's my Top 5 for November 17, 2011 from Len Berman at www.ThatsSports.com.
1. Quick Hits
- The unidentified mother of one of Jerry Sandusky's victims says "I want Jerry Sandusky to go to jail for the rest of his life."
- Former Penn State running back Franco Harris has been fired from his Meadows Race Track and Casino spokesman job for supporting Joe Paterno.
- Joe Paterno's statue will reportedly be removed from outside Beaver Stadium. Penn State claims it hasn't been discussed.
- The baseball managers of the year are Tampa Bay's Joe Maddon and Arizona's Kirk Gibson.
- Former Red Sox manager Terry Francona says he won't manage in 2012.
- After the first day of the President's Cup in Melbourne, the U.S. leads the International team 4-2. But Tiger Woods and Steve Stricker got trounced by Adam Scott and K.J. Choi. They lost by seven holes with six to play. It tied the record for worst loss in President's Cup history.
2. Gag Me
So how smart is it for some of those at Penn State to go public with their cases? First Jerry Sandusky, and then Mike McQueary in his email. OK, I understand that McQueary feels besieged and wants to get out his side of the story. He claims in an email that he didn't run away, that he made sure the shower scene was over before leaving the locker room. But Sandusky absolutely committed legal suicide with his interview. And now parents and lawyers of the victims all want to be heard. Media organizations are tripping over each other trying to get "exclusives." All involved might consider a gag order.
3. Special K
I have to admit I was a little gun shy when Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski set the all time record for division one wins with 903. After all, weren't we just celebrating Joe Paterno for setting the all time college football coaching record? At the time Paterno was the beacon for all that's good in college football. Much like Coach K sets the standard in college basketball. Of course it wouldn't be fair to lump the two together. What makes the record so impressive is how college basketball has changed. When Coach K started there was no shot clock, no three-point field goal and kids actually stayed in college for four whole years. And through it all, he has adapted to change and thrived. It might be hard to spell Krzyzewki but it's easy to spot a winner.
4. Fan Fare
What's an NBA fan to do? Are there any left? But say you're a diehard. Well you can go to a new website NBAFaniFesto and vent. You can sign an on line petition that goes to both sides. It vows to cut back on NBA viewing, spending and to boycott NBA sponsors. Yeah, as if that'll ever happen. But the best part is you get to read everyone's comments.
For example a Knicks fan wrote, "Please let us play! I waited my whole life for a decent NYK team." And maybe the cruelest cut of all from a Celtics fan: "I've actually started watching hockey.
5. Strike Down the Band
Things aren't going so hot for the Columbia University football team. They are now 0-9. After losing at Cornell 62-41, the band changed up the lyrics to Columbia's famed fight song "Roar Lion Roar." Instead of:
Roar, Lion, Roar
And wake the echoes of the Hudson Valley
The band sang:
We always lose lose lose
by a lot and sometimes by a little
The middle part:
We really suck
why are we even trying?
And they ended with:
We always lose lose lose
but we take solace in our booze.
When the football team takes the field Saturday against Brown they'll have to find their own motivation. The band has been banned.
Happy Birthday: "The Franchise," Tom Seaver. 67.
Bonus Birthday: Director Martin Scorcese. 69.
Today in Sports: The famed "Heidi Game." Oakland beat the Jets 43-32, but NBC cut away from the game to show the movie Heidi missing two Raiders touchdowns. 1968.
Bonus Event: Richard Nixon utters his famous line, "I am not a crook." 1973.
To sign up for Len's free daily Top 5 email click here.
To enter the Top 5 holiday contest, click here.