Happy Thursday everyone, here's my Top 5 for January 26, 2012 from Len Berman at www.ThatsSports.com.
1. Quick Hits
- Rafael Nadal beat Roger Federer in four sets and advances to the Australian Open final. He'll face the winner of tomorrow's match between Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray.
- The women's final is now set between #3 Victoria Azarenka and #4 Maria Sharapova.
- NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's contract has been extended through the 2018 season.
- The Indianapolis Colts have hired Baltimore defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano as their new coach.
- Tiger Woods returned to golf with a 70 in the first round of the Abu Dhabi Championship. He was three shots off the early lead.
- A funeral service and burial was held yesterday for Joe Paterno. A public memorial will be held today.
5. Front Row!
How many people are known for their quotes? Oh sure, there's Yogi, but what if I said "Front Row!" or "Just a little outside." Yup, Mr. Baseball himself, Bob Uecker. So happy 77th Ueck. He always gave great catching advice. "The way to catch a knuckleball is to wait until it stops rolling and then pick it up."
Happy Birthday: Bob Uecker. 77.
Bonus Birthday: Ellen DeGeneres. 54.
Today in Sports: 33-year-old Pete Rozelle is elected NFL Commissioner on the 23rd ballot. 1960.
Bonus Event: Speaking of famous quotes, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky." Bill Clinton. 1998.
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more