Happy Ides of March everyone, here's my Top 5 for March 15, 2012 from Len Berman at www.ThatsSports.com.
1. Quick Hits
- Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni is out. Mike Woodson is the interim coach. Anyone have Phil Jackson's phone number?
- The NBA trade deadline is today at 3 p.m. Eastern. Dwight Howard of Orlando says he doesn't want to be traded.
- The NCAA basketball tournament gets underway in earnest with 16 games today.
- Last night's winners were Vermont and South Florida.
- Peyton Manning met for eight hours with the Tennessee Titans yesterday in Nashville.
- Detroit wide receiver Calvin Johnson signs the largest contract in NFL history, eight years, up to $132 million ($60 million guaranteed).
- HBO cancels production of horseracing series Luck after a third horse dies during filming. (Low ratings probably contributed to the decision.)
2. Bye Bye Mike
You can drop the "L." It's gone from Linsanity to insanity in about 15 minutes. Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni is out. Wasn't it just a few days ago that the Knicks were supposedly a legitimate contender? What happened in the interim? Carmelo Anthony returned, nothing worked, the team raised ticket prices and the coach is gone. What answers does owner Jim Dolan have for it all? Who knows? He hasn't taken questions from reporters in five years. You can't spell dysfunckktional without K-N-I-C-K-S.
According to Jets owner Woody Johnson the team "passed" on Peyton Manning. There you have it. This might come as news to Peyton Manning.
4. Smells Like
They've got the ad campaign figured out. "Past, Present, Forever." Yup, it's the new Yankees perfume. When asked what it will smell like the ad guy answered "We hope it reflects the smell of success." There's even a "Fragrance Day" planned for Yankee Stadium. Me, I'm partial to Bat Day. Anyway, the perfume company maintains the right to market other Major League fragrances. What does Cubs cologne smell like, "The Titanic?" Feel free to pick a team and join the fun.
5. Oy, What a Team
A.B. came up with his "dream team" in baseball history.
Mike Lieberthal C
Hank Greenberg 1B
Ian Kinsler 2B
Al Rosen 3B
Lou Boudreau SS
Sid Gordon OF
Ryan Braun OF
Shawn Green OF
Ron Blomberg DH
Sandy Koufax P
Editor's Note: Another name for this team, "It's Yom Kippur, we forfeit."
Happy Birthday: Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis (A candidate for the above mentioned team). 33.
Bonus Birthday: Desperate housewife Eva Longoria. 37.
Today in Sports: 100 years ago today, pitcher Cy Young retires from baseball with a record 511 wins (and a record 316 loses). 1912.
Bonus Event: Et Tu Brute? Julius Caesar gets whacked. 44 B.C.
To sign up for Len's free daily Top 5 email click here.