Happy Thursday everyone, here's my Top 5 for October 28, 2010 from Len Berman at www.ThatsSports.com.
1. Quick Hits
* The Giants beat Cliff Lee and Texas in Game 1 of the World Series 11-7.
* Game 2 is tonight in San Francisco at 7:57pm Eastern on FOX. C.J. Wilson for Texas, Matt Cain for the Giants.
* Rumors have heated up over Bobby Valentine taking the Milwaukee managerial job, but no deal yet.
* LeBron who? The Cleveland Cavaliers win their opener against Boston.
* The Knicks and Nets are undefeated and tied for first place after opening night wins. Enjoy the moment, New York/New Jersey basketball fans.
2. Game 1 Post Mortem
*With the great pitching matchup last night, everyone knew it would be a low scoring game. Yup, if it weren't for Cliff Lee and Tim Lincecum, the final score might have been 24-21.
*It is absolutely unconscionable that the World Series was blacked out on Cablevision. A pox on both Cablevision and Fox, not to mention the FCC and the politicians who allowed this to happen.
* But thanks to Top 5 subscriber D.B. who figured out a way for me to watch the World Series on my computer. I'm sure we broke several laws, so this is off the record.
3. Healthy Cynicism
I can't help it. When I read that Cliff Lee's wife was spit at and had beer thrown at her by Yankee fans I thought in no particular order:
A) The story was planted by Rangers insiders who want to keep Lee in Texas.
B) Mrs. Lee just increased the offer from the Yankees by several million.
C) I love New York!
4. Poetry In Motion
Since I mentioned last week that the Miami Herald was conducting a poetry contest to honor LeBron James' arrival, I think it only fair to follow through. Here were the entries submitted by the 6 finalists.
And the winner is... 24-year old Crystal Booker.
Letting go is hard, we know.
The King is here, and we've warmed up his seat.
Cleveland go ahead and spit flames.
You can't burn the heat.
Didn't that noted poet Walt Whitman write about LeBron's Cleveland departure? "Leaves of Crass."
In Australia, a guy walked into a tattoo parlor and requested a yin and yang symbol on his back with dragons. Needless to say he was a tad pissed when he found out he was decorated instead with a large drawing of a penis. In a related story, Australian Customs officials are checking to see if anyone fitting the description of Brett Favre had recently entered the country.
Happy Birthday: 1976 Olympic decathlon winner Bruce Jenner. 61.
Bonus Birthday: Rich guy Bill Gates. 55.
Today In Sports: The Atlanta Braves win their one and only World Series, beating Cleveland 1-0 in the 6th game. 1995.
Bonus Event: The advent of smart guys. Harvard College is founded. The first school of higher education in the U.S. 1636.