Happy Tuesday everyone, here's my Top 5 for November 20, 2012 from Len Berman at www.ThatsSports.com.
1. Quick Hits
- Monday Night Football: Quarterback Colin Kaepernick won his first career start as San Francisco easily beat Chicago 32-7.
- The NFL suspended Baltimore Ravens star safety Ed Reed one game without pay ($423,500) for repeated violations of rules that prohibit hits to the head and neck area of defenseless players.
- Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig approves the blockbuster trade (read that fire sale) between the Miami Marlins and the Toronto Blue Jays.
- With the Fox News Corporation buying 49 percent of the YES Network, it leads some to speculate that Fox will eventually buy the Yankees.
- Bye-bye it like Beckham. 37-year-old David Beckham is leaving the L.A. Galaxy after six seasons (my how time flies). He isn't retiring.
2. Cloak and Dagger
What, the Patriots were playing by their own rules? Can't be. When Rob Gronkowski left Sunday's game with a broken arm there was no information given out by the Patriots. That's in direct violation of the NFL's media policy. Of course getting any information from Bill Belichick and company under ordinary circumstances is like pulling teeth. Need I bring up Spygate? Why the Patriots had their first team in the game going for still more points against the Colts in a blowout is a whole separate issue. Or is it?
3. Geographically and Mathematically Impaired
This email came yesterday from Top 5 subscriber Adam S. "I am sure you will touch on this tomorrow. With Maryland and looking like Rutgers joining the Big Ten, now we have the Big Ten with 14, the Big 12 with 10, San Diego St. in the Big East, Butler and Saint Louis in the Atlantic 10, and of course NJIT in the Great West (with FIVE teams!)... not to mention Winnipeg is still in the Southeast Division if the NHL ever gets its act together!
Thanks Adam. I love it when my subscribers write my stories for me. Now the rest of you, get on the stick!
4. Name Game
The Philadelphia Phillies double-A team is changing its name from the Reading Phillies to the Fightin Phils. Coupla questions. Shouldn't they be the Phightin Phils? And isn't this just the beginning? How about the Maulin Mets, the Shufflin Cards or the Collapsin Cubs?
5. If You're Scoring at Home
So I guess the choice in Edmonton is hockey or sex. Thanks to the NHL lockout, one boutique owner says sales of sex toys and lingerie are up 15 percent. The owner of Hush Lingerie and More (the kinky version of Bed Bath and Beyond) says without hockey, guys have more time on their hands so they turn to you know what. Makes sense. Just like hockey, you need an assist to score... most of the time. There are instances of unassisted scores.
Happy Birthday: Gold medal winning gymnast (1996) Dominique Dawes. 36.
Bonus Birthday: Actress Bo, the perfect 10, Derek. 56.
Today in Sports: 50 years ago today, my hero, Mickey Mantle won his third and final MVP award. 1962.
Bonus Event: Microsoft Windows 1.0 is released. 1985.
To sign up for Len's free daily Top 5 email click here.