Happy Thursday everyone, here's my Top 5 for December 20, 2012 from Len Berman at www.ThatsSports.com.
1. Quick Hits
- The New York Daily News reports that the Jets will try to trade quarterback Mark Sanchez after the season.
- In the wake of the Sandy Hook tragedy, Chicago Bulls center Joakim Noah has retired his trademark six-shooter celebration where he pretends to fire off two guns with his fingers.
- NBA hotness continues. The L.A. Clippers tie a team record with their 11th straight win. Oklahoma City has now won 12 straight.
- The Angels trade first baseman/designated hitter Kendrys Morales to Seattle for pitcher Jason Vargas.
- One Las Vegas sportsbook, Bovada, has installed the Toronto Blue Jays as 15-2 favorites to win the 2013 World Series. Here's the whole list.
2. More Coach Speak
Yesterday I talked about Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim and his impassioned plea for gun control. Top 5 subscribers S.C. and F.G. passed along what Winthrop coach Pal Kelsey had to say. A wonderful message about all of us needing to be "agents of change."
3. Out of Sight
And thanks to subscriber R.G. for sending along the Mets holiday card. They mention Johan Santana's no-hitter, Ike Davis' career high 32 homers and David Wright setting the franchise hits record. Funny, no mention of R.A. Dickey winning the Cy Young Award.
4. Left Hanging
If the Mayans are right about tomorrow (the end of the world), here are the Top 5 sports answers we'll never get.
1. Alabama or Notre Dame?
2. Are the Knicks for real?
3. Will the NHL ever resume?
4. After all they've spent, who will win a World Series first, the Angels or the Dodgers?
5. Will Pete Rose ever make the Hall of Fame?
And then there are the Top 5 unanswered questions in your town, I'll choose the Yankees.
1. Seriously, will the Yankees really get their payroll down to $189 million after next season? Seriously?
2. What will come first for this current crop of Yankees, a championship or Medicare?
3. Will Alex Rodriguez really play out his contract in New York, how many homers will be wind up with and will anyone care?
4. Will Derek Jeter ever get married?
5. Will radio announcer John Sterling's home run call (song) for Kevin Youkilis be "Youk take my breath away," or "Jew light up my life?"
Happy Birthday: Mets star David Wright. 30.
Bonus Birthday: Actor Jonah Hill. 29.
Today in Sports: The Jets beat the Dolphins 24-17 in NBC's announcerless football game. 1980.
Bonus Event: Elvis Presley gets drafted by the Army. 1957.
To sign up for Len's free daily Top 5 email click here.