Happy Monday everyone, here's my Top 5 for May 10, 2010 from Len Berman at www.ThatsSports.com.
1. Quick Hits
* Oakland pitcher Dallas Braden pitches a perfect game against Tampa Bay. He's the guy who got pissed when A-Rod ran across his mound.
* Speaking of A-Rod, he hit career homer number 586 last night in the 9-3 loss to Boston. That ties him with Frank Robinson for 7th place all time.
* South African Tim Clark won the Players Championship. His first tour victory.
* Tiger Woods quits on the 7th hole with a neck injury. It could be a bulging disk.
* The Phoenix Suns sweep away San Antonio 107-101 to reach the NBA Western Conference finals.
2. Bye of the Tiger?
What's with Tiger Woods? How did he suffer this neck injury? Was it the wear and tear of golf? How about his top secret car accident last November? Maybe it was wild sex? Could it be he tripped over a "step" in rehab? Whatever it is, Superman now looks like a train wreck. It was a foregone conclusion that he'd break Jack Nicklaus' record for wins in majors. Not anymore.
3. Tase and Means
My lord what have we started? On the heels of a Phillies fan getting felled on the field by a Taser gun, a drunk golf fan bot Tasered for heckling Tiger Woods at Sawgrass. Wow, if every drunk fan got zapped for booing the home team, who would be left to buy beer at the concession stands?
4. Home Town News
Not that I'm sensitive, or anything, but how often have newspapers ripped sportscasters for "rooting for the home team?" That's OK, sportscasters should have a degree of objectivity. But this weekend one of my favorite newspapers, The New York Daily News, published an open letter urging LeBron James to come play basketball in New York. I'm guessing the Pulitzers don't have a category for Pom Pom Journalism, but I could be wrong.
5. Yellow Card
One of my pet peeves in soccer is that players act as if they're dead trying to get penalties called on their opponents. Then the "dead" player jumps up and says "I'm fine." Soccer referees have had enough of the fakers, so before games they warn the players to knock it off. The other day a Croatian soccer player fell to the turf and acted dead. He was immediately hit with a yellow card. Turns out he was really, really dead. A heart attack. Oops.
Happy Birthday: Sportscaster Chris Berman (no relation). 55.
Bonus Birthday: U2's Bono. 50.
Today in Sports: Bobby Orr goes flying through the air with the greatest of ease to score the Stanley Cup winning goal for the Boston Bruins. (God, was that really 40 years ago?) 1970.
Bonus Event: We're in the money. Only 3 horses race in the Kentucky Derby. 1905.