- Jealousy. You are never genuinely happy with yourself if you cannot be happy for others. Jealousy implicates misplaced feelings of inferiority and the hatred that it creates will coat your heart like black tar.
- A desire for superficial completion in life. Having a name brand item isn't ever going to satisfy your deep needs for confidence and fulfillment. It's all incredibly meaningless in the end.
- Grudges. It may feel as though you are the tougher person for holding on to some anger that originated years ago, but this behavior actually makes you much weaker. You must forgive. Forgiveness is mature and brave. Forgiveness sets you free.
- Regret. As previously mentioned, forgiveness sets you free. That statement applies to self-forgiveness as well.
- Dependence. You cannot solely depend on others for your happiness. You have to rely on yourself for this. Allow others to do the same and engage in relationships that provide supplemental happiness to the pre-established love and confidence that you each have.
- The need to "fix" people. You may think it possible to change someone, but you truly can't. Furthermore, you shouldn't want to. People have to fix themselves and if you allow consistently negative people in to your life, they will only bring you down with them. Help others, but do not make it your goal to change them.
- Fear. Fear is natural and understandable, but it is powerful too. If you allow fear to control you, you will never move in the direction of your dreams.
- Selfishness. It is one thing to make decisions for your own best interest and another to be inconsiderate of others. There is a reasonable expectation of kindness in this world and if you neglect it, there will be consequences. If you care for no one, no one will care for you.
- Unreasonably high expectations. You should always strive for the absolute best. However, keep in mind that life isn't perfect and if you are constantly expecting it to be, you are only going to set yourself up for disappointment.
- A self-righteous attitude. You truly are not above anything or anyone. The moment that you start feeling that you are is the exact moment that you stunt your intellectual capabilities. This is because you lose the ability to learn from others. You will miss great opportunities and suffer personally if you go through life without an understanding that all people and situations can teach you.
- Wanting to relive the past. You will kill your happiness if you are constantly revisiting old memories and comparing those instances to your present day life. There is a reason that the past is the past and if you dwell in those moments, you lose the moments of today.
- Dishonesty. Give the truth to others and also to yourself. Lies are only destructive and counteractive to any form of true and genuine happiness.
- Reliance on substances. In any instance, allowing something else to determine your happiness is detrimental, but especially in the case of alcohol and drugs. The escape that they offer is impermanent and only builds upon underlying issues. Your mind is so powerful and capable and allowing it to constantly be altered is only doing yourself an injustice. If you give something like alcohol the opportunity, it will consume everything.
- Pessimism. Stop trying to anticipate negative outcomes to spare yourself from disappointment. Be positive and hopeful, pessimism is cowardly.
- Prejudice. If you are prejudice in any way, rest assured it will negatively affect you in the long run. Your hatred is only poison to your own soul. Love and be loved, my friend.
- Self-doubt. If you don't believe in yourself and your abilities, who is going to? The limitations on your happiness often stem just as deep as those that you have created for yourself. Believe in yourself. Believe in your hopes and dreams. Most importantly, believe in the object of true happiness, and never allow yourself to lose sight of it's pure and irreplaceable power.
SUBSCRIBE TO & FOLLOW IN(FORMATION) NOTE: THIS WAS FORMERLY CALLED HUFFPOST WOMEN
The reality of being a woman — by the numbers. Learn more