Cougars could be setting themselves up for some not a not-so-jolly Christmas if they are not prepared to deal with family this holiday season.
If you are planning to introduce your younger guy to Mama, you know it will provide juicy new material for the resident yentas. You can be sure the tongues will start wagging as soon as you walk through the door. But, for better or worse, they are your family so you'd better learn how to deal with them. Don't allow yourself to fall into the old familiar traps that have made you miserable in the past.
Here are a few tips to keep you on solid ground:
1. Put the Odds In Your Favor. Be honest with yourself about the nature of your relationship. While you may have wonderful times alone, he may not be the one you want to hang out with at family gatherings. That's not being judgmental - it's just protecting yourself. Always figure out the risk/reward factor when it comes to family business.
2. Watch out for The Green-Eyed Monster. Never minimize the impact you have when surprising a loved one with a new love interest. Do yourself a favor by having a conversation with your parents, children, favorite aunts or best friends before showing up at the door with a new man on your arm. You just never know how your happiness will affect somebody else.
3. Maintain your cool demeanor. Whatever nonsense might be going on stay calm. Nothing will fuel the fire like you trying to defend your man. You might want to strangle someone but control that impulse.
4. Limit Your Alcohol Consumption. Keep your wits about you and don't try to calm your nervousness by drinking too much. While others may not choose moderation, you have to. To be on the top of your game, sobriety rules.
5. If the going Gets Rough - You Get Going. Keep your visit short if you are not feeling the love... This holiday make it about enjoying yourself and spending time with people who want to celebrate your happiness.
6. Remember How Blessed You Are. Cougars, be thrilled you have attracted such a wonderful man into your life. And don't let anything or anyone spoil that good feeling.
Here's the bottom line: You set the tone, so don't subject yourself to a Spanish Inquisition. Use these tips to smooth out the rough waters.
Follow Linda Franklin on Twitter: www.twitter.com/RealCougarWoman