It's been a while since 2010 Horse of the Year Zenyatta has been center stage. There was some baby drama when she turned up not in foal, shortly after she had been pronounced. She was bred back to Bernardini and is safely in foal. These days Zenyatta spends time out in the pastures with her posse of broodmare pals.
All things Zenyatta have become potent fundraisers for charitable causes. The big mare's halters are prime auction fodder; at benefit auctions they have sold for up to $6,600.
Currently, an exclusive "Meet & Greet" with Zenyatta, at Lane's End Farm, Versailles, KY is part of a Breeders' Cup World Championship dream package being auctioned July 13, 2011 on ESPN Radio and ESPN2 on Mike & Mike in the Morning, from 6:00 to 7:00 a.m. ET. The package also includes:
- Two (2) tickets in the exclusive Trophy Lounge at the Breeders' Cup World Championships on Friday and Saturday, November 4th and November 5th, 2011 at Churchill Downs, Kentucky
- One (1) hotel room for three (3) nights over Breeders' Cup weekend at an Official Breeders' Cup Hotel
- Access to an Official Hospitality Center at a host hotel
- Transportation to and from the track on Friday and Saturday
- Two (2) tickets to the Winner's Circle Welcome Party on Thursday, November 3rd
- Two (2) tickets to the Finish Line Celebration on Saturday, November 5th after the races
Telephone bids for this package can be placed by phone at 1-800-4JIMMYV between 6:00 &7:00 a.m., Wednesday, July 13.
Proceeds from this racing-fan-goes-to-racing-Nirvana package will benefit the V Foundation for Cancer Research, which is the primary non-profit beneficiary of the 2011 Breeders' Cup World Championships.
From what I have gleaned, Zenyatta fundraising items have raised mid-five-figure dollars for charities since her last race, the 2010 Breeders' Cup Classic.
Not only did Zenyatta capture our hearts with her prowess and elegance, with the support of her team -- the Moss's and the Sheriffs, her influence is driving funds to support both equine and human charities. As she did on the race track, Z is outpacing her contemporaries in fundraising. Go Zenyatta!
Follow Liz O'Connell on Twitter: www.twitter.com/NYThoroughbred