A really good thing to know about being single during the holidays is that you're not the only one. There are other people who are not in a relationship during this holiday season and are looking to get to know someone new over eggnog.
The holidays are a great time of the year to meet people. From shopping to dinners to holiday parties, there's a festive spirit in the air. You don't have to only think about meeting a new love interest at these places. You can also make new friends and maybe that new friend may know someone you might like to go on a date with. It's the season to spread holiday cheer and be open to new adventures. So enjoy going out in your area! Here are 10 ways you might meet someone new during the holidays.
1. Accept all Invitations: Accept all invitations for holiday parties! They're a great place to meet people who are in your area and in a festive mood.
2. Volunteer for Holiday Help: Give back during the holidays. Try to find out how you can help at a local toy drive or a homeless shelter. You may meet someone who shares your interest in charitable work.
3. Mail Your Holiday Packages: When you go out to send your holiday cards and gifts at your local post office or UPS store, it's another good chance to encounter people in your area.
4. Take an Exercise Class: After Thanksgiving, people are usually even more focused on going to the gym. Gyms offer special sign up rates this time of year so you may see new people who took advantage of the seasonal deal.
5. Shop for Gifts: Don't only do online shopping. Go out to the stores! You may meet someone at the mall.
6. Return Gifts: Most people have to bring some presents back, so you could meet someone on a returns line at the department store.
7. Pick up Coffee: Stop by your local coffee shop to grab a warm drink. People are usually in coffee shops with their laptops during the winter. Sit down for a while and strike up a conversation.
8. Go to Your Local Church or Synagogue: After services, everyone is feeling really uplifted. It's a good time to say hello to people and wish them a happy holiday. You could make many new social contacts there.
9. Join a Group to Go Caroling: You can join a bunch of friends or put together a group to go caroling. You might meet new people and have lots of fun during the process.
10. Organize a Neighborhood Party: Invite people you don't know and have everyone bring something. If you live in an apartment building, invite the neighbors on your floor. You have seen most of these people and now it's a good time to get to know them.
HuffPost Parents offers a daily dose of personal stories, helpful advice and comedic takes on what it’s like to raise kids today. Learn more