I woke up on Super Bowl Sunday thinking about broccoli cheese puffs. I had cooked a head of broccoli the night before and had leftovers. Thought it would be fun to start the day with some canapés! Actually, if you know me, you know I don't give a fig about American football. (Sorry!) But there was snow on the ground, no obligations, bills were paid, and it felt like a day for a party, even if it was just the kids and I. So I turned on the music (writing this to "Clap Yo Hands" from the movie Funny Face!!!!! Fabulous!!!!*) and we had a breakfast party! But these are so easy you can actually make them for a party and it's no big deal. They'll be gone in a flash.
Broccoli Cheese Puffs from ScratchIngredients:
- 2 cups chopped cooked broccoli
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère or cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil for the pan
- Mix everything in a bowl except for the olive oil.
- I made mine in a tiny muffin tin. Use the olive oil to grease the tin, fill the muffin openings (they will not really puff up that much), and bake at 350° for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown on top.
My 6-year-old ate five of them for breakfast without complaining one bit that there was broccoli in them!
* Sung by Fred Astaire and Kay Thompson, who was also the author of Eloise, who MOST assuredly had canapés for breakfast on a regular basis.
For more from Maria Rodale, go to www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com
All the meal hacks and indulgent snacks. You’re welcome. Learn more