"Have another Nutter Butter peanut butter sandwich cooooookiiieeee!"
For us old-timers, that song sure can get stuck in our heads. But this peanut butter cookie is the cure. And it's gluten-free! (Too bad almost all of my gluten-free family members hate peanut butter.)
You can make these as plain-old peanut butter cookies or fill them with vegan icing (recipe below)--which makes them taste like a gluten-free fluffernutter sandwich!
Or...you could fill them with ice cream! (It's also usually gluten-free.)
Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies
Makes 27 cookies
- 2 cups crunchy or smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup coarsely chopped salted party peanuts
- ½ cup Earth Balance vegan shortening, softened
- ½ cup Earth Balance butter flavored vegan shortening
- 3½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¼ cup soy, almond, or coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
To make the cookies:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all cookie ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Roll dough into 27 tablespoon-size balls and do the fork press thing (press down across the top of the balls with a fork). Spray fork with coconut oil if it's too sticky. Arrange pressed balls on a cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 9 minutes. Leave cookies on the cookie sheet to cool.
5. If you're going to fill them with icing, wait until the cookies are completely cool, then ice and make into a sandwich--27 divided by two equals 13 cookie sandwiches...plus one for just-plain eating!
To make the icing:
1. Blend the shortening together in a bowl for 1 to 2 minutes.
2. Add the powdered sugar and blend for another 3 minutes.
3. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. And the vanilla, milk, and salt and blend for 6 minutes. Done!
For more from Maria Rodale, visit www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com
More:Gluten-free Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookie Gluten Free Cookies Gluten Free Recipe Gluten Free Cookie Recipe Gluten Free Icing
HuffPost Lifestyle is a daily newsletter that will make you happier and healthier — one email at a time. Learn more