It's movie season; all the best movies seem to come out this time of year. Wait, actually, every season is movie season. And I confess, I love buttered popcorn. At the movies. Or rather, during the movie previews.... I want to be all stuffed and buttered before the actual movie starts, so I can concentrate.
However, not only is movie popcorn obscenely salty, and buttered with fake chemical butter, it's also one of the most over-priced, over-sodiumed and -caloried products on the market. But it sort of feels illegal to sneak in real popcorn, doesn't it? If it is actually illegal, it's one law I don't mind breaking, and in fact, have gotten rather good at it.
So, here is how I do it--and the great news is, you can get it done in less than five minutes right before you head out to the movie theatre.
Stealth Movie Popcorn
¼ to ½ cup organic popcorn kernels
1. Put the popcorn into the paper bag and fold the top over.
2. Put the bag with the popcorn into the microwave, and set the timer for 3 to 4 minutes.
3. As soon as the popping slows down significantly, turn the microwave off and remove the bag (or the popcorn will burn!). Open up the bag and let the steam out.
4. Put butter (as much or as little as you want) in a bowl, and microwave for 30 seconds.
5. Pour the melted butter into the bag of popcorn.
6. Add salt.
7. Close the bag and shake it up!
8. Put the paper bag with the popcorn inside it into the plastic bag to keep the butter from soaking through...don't pour the popcorn out of the paper bag, or it will melt the plastic. And don't close up the plastic bag until you get to the movie theatre, or the popcorn will get soggy from the steam. Conceal the bag of popcorn in the "purse" or another movie-friendly carrier bag, and off you go to the movies!
9. When you get to the theater, just act as if you're carrying the usual bag that you carry everywhere. Find your seat, and discreetly reach inside your bag and start munching. People might wonder what smells so good--is that the smell of REAL melted butter?! But as long as you are careful, no one should complain or turn you in
10. Enjoy the movie.
For more from Maria Rodale go to www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com.
Follow Maria Rodale on Twitter: www.twitter.com/farmkitchenblog