- Reconnect with some old friends. I feel like now that Facebook has gone public, it's the start of the post-Facebook era, when I'm beginning to crave actual, real interaction with people...undocumented! Could it be the start of a trend?
- Make new friends. Did you ever get that feeling that you are born again--and Christianity has nothing to do with it? Not that there's anything wrong with my old friends, it's just that sometimes it's good to try something new, meet new people in new situations.
- Swim. A lot! In the pool. In the ocean. I also keep thinking about the Delaware River, which is where I learned to swim at summer camp. Maybe this is the summer to rent a raft and float down it. Oh, I have happy memories of those times. I can still smell the muddy water!
- Go hear some new music. Rumor has it the Avett Brothers are coming to the WXPN Xponential Music Festival in Camden, New Jersey. Sign me up! It's also a great event for discovering new acts, new sounds.
- Go hear some old music. I've already got tickets to Kenny Chesney and Bruce Springsteen (Again! I mean a girl can only go so long without....)
- Go on at least one adventure. What will it be? I don't know yet. EXCITING! But I'll know it when I see it and then I'm going to do it. Even if it means calling in and cancelling a day's worth of meetings...I apologize in advance for that.
- Run, ride, and roam. I'm thinking about running my first 5K this fall at the Runner's World Half Marathon Festival in my hometown of Bethlehem. Come on down!!!! Eve and I are going to run it together. Actually, we are going to start together. She's going to leave me in the dust pretty quickly. But it will be fun. Even if I have to walk some of it. I'm also working on getting a new bike, which is a much bigger ordeal than I thought it would be. But I'm doing my research--and I'm open to suggestions.
- Hang out upside down. Headstand, handstand, hanging from the ropes in my yoga room. Inversions are always good for seeing the world from a new perspective. I want to work on getting up into a handstand from my left leg or both together. It's harder than it sounds. Especially for an old lady like me.
- Write something new. I think I'm going to write a few kid's books. Or just capture the kid's books that come out of my kids' mouths. Or, maybe I'll start sharing my poetry. EEK. That's scary!
- Create something new. Summer is the perfect time to draw, paint, create, build something, or invent something. While nature is producing and creating, it feels like the right time for us to do it, as well. And so I shall. So I shall.
For more from Maria Rodale, go to www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com
Follow Maria Rodale on Twitter: www.twitter.com/farmkitchenblog