Portrait of a Pro-Choice Hero
Henry Hyde in the Swingin' Sixties with his choice of someone else's wife to swing with for seven years. (Hyde's own wife -- and this lady's own husband -- apparently chose not to be in this photo)
I learn with great sadness about the death of one of the world's leading Pro-Choice advocates -- Representative Henry Hyde.
• It was his CHOICE to create and sponsor the "Hyde Amendment" in 1976. A few legislative words that have caused misery to the lives of more American women in the last 30 years than words fashioned by almost any other US politician. By the simple expedient of preventing low-income women having their OWN choice.
• It was his CHOICE that the American Congress squander millions of dollars and tens of thousands of man-hours in 1998 & 1999 trying to remove a democratically-elected President from office on the flimsiest of pretexts.
• It was his CHOICE to betray his marriage vows and abuse his wife Jeanne (who he married in 1947) and their four children by inflicting his seven and a half year affair with a young married woman -- (eleven years his junior with three young children of her own) -- on his family between 1965 and 1973.
• It was his CHOICE to maintain his adulterous affair for two and a half years AFTER his long-suffering wife found out that he was cheating on her and begged him to end it.
• It was his CHOICE to lambast Clinton for a moral lapse that was dwarfed by his own lapses -- and those of his fellow conspirators.
• It was his CHOICE to abuse the English language and the intelligence of the American people by claiming that his seven and a half year affair from 1965 till 1973 -- i.e. when he was between the ages of 41 and 48 -- was "a youthful indiscretion"
So I celebrate this man of Choice by making my own choice.
My choice is that people ignore the reflexive hagiographic obituaries that gloss over or underplay his considerable negative impact on the nation -- and remember him for what he really was.
A smug, bloated, hypocrite who harmed the lives of millions of women and seriously damaged this nation.
Follow Martin Lewis on Twitter: www.twitter.com/TheMartinLewis