THE BLOG

A Valentine to the 99 Percent

02/14/2014 09:37 am ET | Updated Apr 15, 2014
  • Mary Dimino Comedian, Award-Winning Solo Show Writer and Performer

"We are the 99 percent," has been The Occupy movement's famous rallying cry. A unifying slogan, indeed.

Not since the Great Stock Market crash of 1929, had the top wealthiest 1 percent of Americans held so much of the country's collective wealth. More importantly, the top 1 percent captured more of the country's overall economic growth between 1993 and 2008 than the remaining 99 percent of the country combined! Today many people are forced to choose between groceries and rent, working long hours for little pay.

Here is a satirical, fun video that gives a nod to the 99 percent, a Valentine, if you will.

So warm up some left overs and occupy together because today's the day we are "Coming Out Poor."

It's okay, you're in good company.

(Filmed by Applecomedy & Bill Scurry, written by David Bernstein, featuring Willy Appleman, Andrew Yurman-Glaser, Robert Kerns and myself, Mary Dimino playing Mom.)