There are a few salad recipes in this book that I highly recommend for summer. Both the Fennel, Orange and Olive Salad and the Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad are simply amazing and unique. You can bring these to any gathering and not run the risk of someone else turning up with the same dish. If you're a vegetarian cook, there are many wonderful dishes in this book that will be appealing to you.
Here's a tempting excerpt from the book, Five Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking, to literally give you a taste of the recipe collection: the Fennel, Orange and Olive Salad recipe.
Pictured: Orange Fennel Salad, Image credit: Colin Erricson / www.robertrose.ca
Makes 6 side-dish servings
- 2 large oranges
- 1 large bulb fennel, halved lengthwise, cored and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup packed fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pitted brine-cured black olives (such as kalamata), quartered
- Using a sharp knife, cut peel and pith from oranges. Working over a large bowl, cut between membranes to release segments. Squeeze the membranes to release any remaining juice into the bowl.
- To the oranges, add fennel, red onion, mint, salt, pepper and oil, gently tossing to combine. Sprinkle with olives.
To prepare the fennel bulb, trim off the tough stalks from the top and the bottom root end before cutting the bulb in half. Chop any feathery fronds from the stalks and
sprinkle on top of the salad with the olives, if desired. If the outer
layers of the bulb are tough and stringy, you can discard them or peel
off the outer layer with a sharp vegetable peeler.
Nutrients per serving
Total fat 6 grams
Saturated fat 1 grams
Cholesterol 0 milligrams
Sodium 151 milligrams
Carbohydrate 12 grams
Fiber 3 grams
Protein 1 gram
Calcium 60 milligrams
Iron 0.8 milligrams
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
Get top stories and blog posts emailed to me each day. Newsletters may offer personalized content or advertisements.Learn more