There are a few salad recipes in this book that I highly recommend for summer. Both the Fennel, Orange and Olive Salad and the Arugula, Watermelon and Feta Salad are simply amazing and unique. You can bring these to any gathering and not run the risk of someone else turning up with the same dish. If you're a vegetarian cook, there are many wonderful dishes in this book that will be appealing to you.
Here's a tempting excerpt from the book, Five Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking, to literally give you a taste of the recipe collection: the Fennel, Orange and Olive Salad recipe.
Pictured: Orange Fennel Salad, Image credit: Colin Erricson / www.robertrose.ca
Makes 6 side-dish servings
- 2 large oranges
- 1 large bulb fennel, halved lengthwise, cored and very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup packed fresh mint leaves, torn
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pitted brine-cured black olives (such as kalamata), quartered
- Using a sharp knife, cut peel and pith from oranges. Working over a large bowl, cut between membranes to release segments. Squeeze the membranes to release any remaining juice into the bowl.
- To the oranges, add fennel, red onion, mint, salt, pepper and oil, gently tossing to combine. Sprinkle with olives.