Two years ago, an earthquake devastated Haiti, a nation that already faced more than its share of challenges.
As part of an attempt to help in a very small way, I began auctioning TV-related items on eBay. Those who cover TV get an array of promotional items from various networks and studios -- DVD sets, commemorative shirts, one-of-a-kind mementos and the like -- and I figured TV fans might enjoy owning those items. I call the event, which is now annual, Swag for Charity, and TV fans have consistently blown me away with their response to the opportunity to help.
Via eBay's Giving Works program, 100 percent of the proceeds of every Swag for Charity sale goes to charitable organizations. The past couple of Swag for Charity auctions have raised tens of thousands of dollars for various charities, mainly Partners in Health, a respected medical organization with a significant presence in Haiti. But PIH also works in countries like Rwanda, Lesotho, Malawi, Peru and Kazahkstan, among others.
A few days ago, I kicked off the most recent Swag for Charity auction, and there are currently more than 20 items up for sale.
Here are just a few of the highlights:
- Just added: A one-of-a-kind banner signed by the cast of "Chuck." Bidding on that item ends Jan. 27, the day the NBC show goes off the air for good. (Many thanks go to the organizers of the annual Chuckfest event, who donated this unique item.)
- Speaking of the Nerd Herd, bidding ends Jan. 20 for an eBay lot that inclues a "Chuck" T-shirt and graphic novel.
- For the "Justified" fan, Elmore Leonard's new novel, "Raylan," signed by the author.
- A "House" hoodie and Hugh Laurie's "Let Them Talk" CD.
- Five "Firefly" posters done in gorgeous Art Nouveau style.
- A super-rare "Buffy" wooden stake.
- A "Community" Human Beings messenger bag.
- For fans of FX's "Justified," two "jars" commemorating Mags Bennett's famous "apple pie."
- A "Doctor Who" set full of several TARDIS-related goodies.
- A "Breaking Bad" 2012 calendar.
- A "Bones" shirt and Kathy Reichs novel.
- And much, much more!
Bidding ends on several items today, so be speedy if you want to snag those mementos. But keep in mind that new items will be added over the next few days, so keep checking the eBay sale well into next week to see the new items that are listed.
My deep thanks go to all who have bid on items currently up for auction and to those who have purchased from Swag for Charity items in the past. I love my job, but seeing the generosity of TV fans in action makes me love it even more.
If you have any questions about the sale, don't hesitate to drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow Maureen Ryan on Twitter: www.twitter.com/moryan